Tinnitus is a problem of experiencing ringing sound in the ear that no one else can hear. Tinnitus is not a serious condition, and, although it comes and goes, episodes usually only last a few minutes at most.
There are two types of tinnitus. With the first, subjective tinnitus, only you can hear the ringing. With the second, objective tinnitus, the ringing can also be heard by your doctor as she examines your ears. Tinnitus has many causes, including inner ear cell damage, chronic health conditions, head, neck, and ear injuries, damage to the hearing center in your brain, age-related hearing loss, exposure to loud noise, earwax blockage, tumors, and overuse of antibiotics or aspirin.
People of all ages can experience ringing, but tinnitus, which can also include buzzing, roaring, clicking, hissing, inability to concentrate, and difficulty sleeping, is most common in men over 40.
Home Remedies for Tinnitus:
You’re about to learn several home remedies for treating tinnitus yourself, using safe, effective ingredients you probably already have in your home. Let’s get started!
1. Sunflower Seeds
Sunflower seeds are naturally anti-inflammatory. They protect hearing canals from damage by toxins and free radicals, and they contain vitamins that keep bones—including all the tiny ones inside your ears—healthy.
Eat sunflower seeds and drink tea made with sunflower seeds on a daily basis.
2. Castor Oil
Castor oil is antibacterial, anti-viral, and anti-inflammatory. It restores normal cell function inside the ear and strengthens your immune system to protect against the bacteria and fungi that collect in the inner ear and cause tinnitus.
- Pour few drops of castor oil inside your ear and cover with cotton ball.
- Repeat regularly for few days.
3. Onion Juice
Onions are rich in vitamins C and A, and they contain chromium and quercetin, all of which help strengthen the immune system to protect against the free radicals that damage the inner ear and cause tinnitus. It also regulates blood sugar levels and prevents inflammation and infection.
- Use a juicer or blender to extract juice from an onion.
- Drip a tiny bit inside your ear.
- Repeat three times a week at first, then, when your tinnitus subsides, reduce to once a week.
Fenugreek helps regulate sugar and cholesterol levels to improve blood quality, and it protects against inflammatory infections that can damage the inner ear and cause ringing.
- Soak 1 tablespoon of fenugreek seeds in a cup of water for 3 hours.
- Strain and drink regularly to reduce discomfort.
Oregano has anti-viral, antibacterial and, anti-inflammatory properties, and it contains thymol, carvacol, and anti-oxidants. All of these protect against pathogens that cause ear infections and trigger tinnitus. Oregano can be used to season food and make tea.
- Add 1 tablespoons of dried oregano in one cup of boiling water.
- Steep for 15 minutes.
- Strain and drink 3 times daily.
- Or eat a cup of oregano everyday.
Plantain cleanses the ear canal to prevent buildup of wax, fluid, and bacteria that cause tinnitus and other hearing problems.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of plantain into a glass of water or other juice and drink it.
- Or Drink plantain extract 3 times daily.
- Repeat regularly for 6-8 weeks to get rid of problem.
- Rinse ears with plantain water.
- Or soak cotton swab in plantain liquid and put in the ear
- Leave for few minutes and remove.
Passionflower helps cure cardiovascular and circulatory problems, and it promotes proper function of the nervous system and brain cells. It is also a natural sedative, so it helps to relax the inner ear, allowing for proper function.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of dried passionflower into a cup of hot water.
- let it steep 15 minutes, and drink it before bed every night.
Mistletoe tea helps purify the blood and improve circulation, enabling better delivery of nutrients and oxygen to the ears.
- Mix 3 teaspoons of mistletoe herb into 3 cups water.
- Let it steep overnight.
- Drink 1 cup 3 times a day without adding sugar or honey.
9. Finger Drumming
The finger drumming technique usually cures tinnitus immediately, and it consists of three simple steps.
- Place your palms against your ears, fingers facing backward so that the tips of your middles fingers nearly touch just above the base of your skull.
- Place index finger over middle finger and snap suddenly onto the skull by making drumming noise.
- Repeat 40-50 times whenever you have an episode of tinnitus.
Salt, when consumed in excess, increases blood pressure, causing hypertension and tinnitus. Reducing salt intake can help to lower blood pressure and reduce tinnitus.
11. Ginkgo Biloba
Ginkgo Biloba contains anti-oxidants the improve circulation by dilating blood vessels, enabling more nutrients and oxygen to reach the inner ears. Ginkgo Biloba also contains flavonoids and terpenoids that protect nerves, blood vessels, and heart muscles from damage by free radicals.
Ginkgo Biloba can be found in capsule, liquid extract, or tea forms. Consult a doctor before regular use.
12. Exercise for Stress Management
Stress is also a factor in persistent tinnitus, and exercise is a wonderful stress-reduction technique. If you cannot perform a strenuous workout 3 times a week, try yoga, meditation, relaxation therapy, or deep breathing to promote proper circulation and general good health.
13. Green Tea
Green tea contains anti-oxidants that protect against damage from free radicals. Try to find an organic brand at your local grocery store, as these will contain more beneficial properties than heavily-processed commercial brands.
Drink green tea regularly to treat many health problems including tinnitus.
14. Nasal Solution
This solution will clear the sinuses and reduce ringing in the ears.
- Stir 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of glycerin into 1 pint of warm water.
- Fill a dropper or empty nasal spray bottle with this solution.
- Spray it into each nostril until it drains back into the throat.
- Spray into the throat.
- Repeat 3 times daily to get relief from tinnitus.
15. Co-Enzyme Q10
Co-enzyme Q10 is a natural antioxidant that improves circulation to the inner ear, strengthens the immune system, and neutralizes the free radicals that cause tinnitus. It also helps convert food into energy, promoting overall health.
- You can find Co-enzyme Q10 in capsule or tonic form at most pharmacies.
- The recommended dosage is 200-300 mgs, but consult a doctor to make sure this is right for you.
Caffeine constricts capillaries and small blood vessels, reducing blood flow to the head, neck, and ears. This contributes to tinnitus and related symptoms, so it is good to avoid caffeine as possible.
17. Diet Plan
- Eat plenty of garlic, kelp, sea vegetables, and leafy greens, as these are rich in vitamins, and polyphenols.
- Eat fresh pineapple to reduce inflammation.
- Eat foods rich in zinc, like seafood, beef and lamb, pumpkin, nuts, cocoa, etc.
- Get plenty of vitamin B from foods like chicken, wheat, bran, cabbage, spinach, salmon, and sweet potato.
- Eat raw fruits and vegetables and cooked legumes. These are rich in vitamins, amino acids, and phytogenic compounds which reduce inflammation and calm nerves in the inner ear.
- Avoid dairy products, sugar, fatty acids, and processed foods.
- Eat bananas, cereals, proteins, and meat, and take manganese, iodine, copper, sulfur, and iron supplements.
Tips To reduce Tinnitus:
- Avoid alcohol. It increases blood flow inner ears.
- Don’t smoke. Nicotine in tobacco and cigarettes reduces blood flow to ears and makes the situation worse.
- Avoid aspirin, ibuprofen, and naproxen these will lead to tinnitus.
- Avoid loud noise or wear ear protection.
- Use white noise or low music to distract from ringing sounds.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Do not listen to overly loud music.
- Excess wax also causes tinnitus. Regularly clean excess wax from your ears.
- Use lemon, cypress, rosemary, and rose oils for aromatherapy or massage, or put them in a vaporizer to improve circulation.
- Get plenty of sleep.
- Try acupuncture and hypnosis.
If none of the above remedies work for you, consult a doctor as it can lead to any respiratory problems or any serious health issue.
Have you tried any of these methods for reducing tinnitus? Tell us which ones worked best for you!