Dark Circles are a common complaint for many of us. They make you look tired, dull and less confident. Due to stress, lack of sleep, environment toxins and many others, skin under the eyes get delicate and thin, and then the blood vessels get revealed giving off a dark discoloration under the eyes. Home remedies can be of a helping hand to improve the skin color under the eyes. Yet in order to get rid of dark circles permanently, one has to follow healthy lifestyle and sleep properly. Here are few tips to have a better sleep.
Tomato for Dark Circles
Let’s talk about an ingredient that works wonders in diminishing dark circles. It’s none other tomato. Tomato is very effective in healing many health and beauty complaints including dark circles. If your skin cannot resist to the acidic properties of tomato then you can choose potato for reducing dark circles.
Here are few reasons why tomato can be effective in reducing dark circles.
- Tomato has natural bleaching property that lightens up the skin to a maximum extent. They also make the skin soft and supple.
- It contains lycopene, an antioxidant that reduces dark discoloration under the eyes.
- It has moisturizing and regenerating properties which contribute in fading away the dark circles.
- Vitamin A in tomatoes regenerate the dull and damaged skin, vitamin B promotes cell renewal, vitamin C combats dark circles and minerals will stimulate cellular metabolism.
- It is rich in nutrients that include Vitamin A, B, and C, sulphur, potassium, calcium and iron which makes tomatoes a perfect solution to reduce dark circles.
How to use Tomato for Dark Circles:
Let me list down some effective ways in detail that help in reducing dark circles around the eyes and makes the skin look shiny and healthy.
- Smash or grind a tomato into a thick paste.
- Apply it over dark circles.
- Rinse off after few minutes.
- Or place a tomato slice on dark circles and message it gently for 2 – 3 minutes. Let it dry and rinse off.
- Repeat this daily.
- Or eat 1 tomato on empty stomach daily in the morning to lighten the skin.
2. Drinking Tomato Juice
Tomatoes contain Vitamin A, K, B1, B2, B3, B5 and B6, magnesium, phosphorous and iron. When tomato juice is taken internally it improves skin color under the eyes.
- Blend chopped tomato pieces and mint leaves.
- To the juice, add 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice and a pinch of salt.
- Stir it well and drink.
- Make sure to drink the juice right after the preparation to avail maximum benefits of reducing dark circles.
- Drink the juice daily once in the morning.
3. Tomato Juice with Lemon Juice
Both tomato and lemon have bleaching (skin lightening) properties. This combination helps in providing the results more effectively and quickly.
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of tomato juice and lemon juice.
- Gently apply the mixture on dark circles using a cotton ball.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes and rinse off.
- Repeat this process 2 times daily.
Note: For dry and sensitive skin, add few drops of water in the mixture before applying under the eyes. It reduces burning sensation caused by the acidic properties of tomato and lemon.
4. Tomato with Lemon Juice and Gram Flour
In this combination, lemon has bleaching properties and gram flour removes excess oil from the skin.
- Blend or smash a tomato to extract the juice.
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice, a liberal squeeze of tomato and 2 teaspoons of gram flour to it.
- Apply the paste over clean under eye area and leave for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse off with cool water.
- Follow this process regularly for 2 – 3 times a week.
5. Tomato with Orange Lentil Flour and Turmeric
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of turmeric powder, tomato puree and orange lentil flour.
- Add few drops of lemon juice and stir it to make thick paste.
- Apply this paste under the eyes.
- Leave it for 30 minutes and wash off with normal water.
- Or you can also mix 2 teaspoons of tomato juice and 1 teaspoon of turmeric. Apply this paste and rinse off after 30 minutes.
- Repeat regularly for 2 times in a week.
6. Tomato with Mint Leaves
The cooling effect of mint leaves provide soothing and refreshing effect to the skin under the eyes. This combination not only helps in reducing dark circles but also provides refreshed look to your eyes.
- Blend few mint leaves and 1/2 tomato.
- Apply this mixture on clean under eye skin carefully.
- Let it rest for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Rinse with cold water.
- Or you can also add a tablespoon of honey to the mixture, dip cotton pads and place over dark circles.
- To reduce dark circles, follow this process 2 – 3 times a week.
7. Tomato with Aloe Vera Juice
In this combination aloe vera hydrates and moisturizes the skin under eyes while bleaching properties of tomatoes lighten the skin.
- Mix equal amounts of tomato juice and aloe vera gel.
- Apply on clean under eye skin and leave for 10 minutes.
- Rinse with cool water and pat dry.
- Repeat this process 2 times daily for better results.
8. Tomato Juice with Potato Juice
Both potatoes and tomatoes have natural bleaching (skin lightening) properties that help in diminishing the dark circles.
- Peel and chop 1 potato, then puree it in a blender.
- Strain through cheesecloth to extract juice.
- Mix potato juice and fresh tomato juice.
- Use cotton balls to apply on clean under-eye skin.
- Leave until completely dried.
- Wash with cool water and pat dry.
- Or you can blend tomato and potato together and follow the remaining process.
- Repeat the process daily until your achieve desired results.
9. Tomato Juice with Honey
Honey improves blood circulation, moisturize the skin and its natural bleaching property reduces dark discoloration under the eyes.
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of tomato juice and honey.
- Gently apply the juice on clean under eye skin.
- Rinse with warm water followed by cold water and pat dry.
- Repeat this process twice a day to lighten dark circles.
10. Tomato with Curd
Curd soothes the eyes to relieve stress from it. This combination is more effective for people with dry or sensitive skin.
- Mix 1 tablespoon each of tomato juice and curd.
- Apply this paste on clean under eye skin.
- Leave for few minutes and rinse off.
- This process is effective if followed regularly.
11. Tomato with Pineapple
Pineapple juice is filled with antioxidants and bromelain which help in reducing fine lines, uneven skin tone and sun damage. Bromelain softens the skin and reduces puffiness under the eyes.
- In a blender, puree 1 tomato and 1 cup of pineapple chunks.
- Use cotton balls to apply on clean under-eye skin and leave on for 20 minutes.
- Rinse with cool water and pat dry.
- Store leftover mixture in refrigerator and repeat daily.
- If followed regularly for 2 times a week, you can surely reduce dark circles.
12. Tomato with Cucumber Paste and Mint Leaves
In this combination, mint leaves and tomatoes reduce the pigmentation under eyes while cucumber hydrates the skin and retains the moisture.
- Blend 5-6 mint leaves, 100ml tomato puree, 30ml cucumber juice to make a paste.
- Apply the paste on clean under eye skin.
- Wash with tap water after 10 minutes.
- Or you can dip cotton pads in the mixture, refrigerate them and place them on the eyes for 15 minutes and pat dry.
- Repeat the process regularly for quick results.
The above home remedies have proven results of reducing dark circles yet you cannot achieve them over night. You can observe the difference after every application and gradually diminish dark circles.
Tips and Precautions:
- Fresh tomato paste and juice is more effective when compared with stored ones.
- Before applying any tomato remedy always test it on arm for any negative results. If any, stop using it.
- Never ever let tomato juice or paste enter your eyes. If anything happens wash your eyes immediately with water to prevent irritation and other discomforts.
- Avoid applying facial mask on dark circles or around your eyes. Skin is different and very thin under the skin than other parts of face. So it may damage the skin and make it worse.
- Due to constant rubbing of eyes caused by allergens, the skin gets discolored. It is best to get treated for allergens before dark circles.
- A good night sleep of 7 to 8 hours is very important to reduce dark circles, fine lines and puffiness.
- Avoid excess smoking and alcohol consumption.
- Keep yourself hydrated and maintain a balanced diet.
- Harsh chemicals present in cosmetics can also darken the skin under eyes. So don’t overdo makeup and avoid using eye gels with harsh chemicals.
- Make sure to consult your doctor for immediate treatment, if you didn’t find any relief from any of the tomato.
Let us know which remedy worked best for you. We are happy to hear your experience in reducing dark circles.
Image #Willoughby Peterson @Flickr
Hi everyone, this is Rajee!
I live the beautiful city of Baltimore, where my husband works.
I’m from India. I have been visiting India on and off for past few years and my mom was an inspiration for me to start this site. She has a wealth of knowledge on home remedies for a large number of health problems, and we grew up in an environment where frequent visits to the doctor just wasn’t logistically or financially feasible.
Despite this, she managed to raise a family of healthy kids, and my goal here at Home Remedies for Life is to pass on some of her knowledge of natural remedies.