An allergy is defined as a type of hypersensitivity caused by the extreme reaction of the immune system. Whenever the body encounters a specific allergen immunoglobulin E (IgE) that regulates the hyperactivity of white blood cells, it results in various forms of allergic and inflammatory responses.
Allergies can be caused by many things, such as foods, medicines, pet dander, insect bites and other seasonal allergens like grasses, molds, yeasts, weeds, pollens, smoke, etc. These will trigger the release of histamines in the bloodstream. The people who are experiencing the allergies, they suffer from certain symptoms like hives, rash, wheezing, sneezing, runny nose, itchy eyes and throat, etc.
Never ever neglect the treatment for the allergies as this could lead to anaphylaxis, where you have difficulty swallowing, shortness of breath, loss of consciousness, dizziness or even death.
Turmeric for Allergies:
Turmeric is a spice that belongs to the ginger family. It is a natural nutritional supplement that helps to cure many beauty and health problems, including allergies, due to the following properties:
- It contains curcumin, a compound that acts as a decongestant.
- It acts as an anti – histamine which helps in reducing the mast cell de-granulation or histamine – release.
- It can treat both tonic and acute allergies effectively.
- It has anti-inflammatory, analgesic and anti-bacterial properties that help to cure allergies and other health problems.
- Curcumin, when mixed with other effective herbs like licorice root or extract of boswellia, it becomes very effective in giving relief from immunological reaction to clear allergies.
- It acts as a natural leukotriene inhibitor for allergies, which is related to a particular form of allergic condition called bronchial asthma and other lung problems.
1. Turmeric Powder
- Turmeric powder
- Add a sufficient amount of turmeric powder to your foods while cooking.
- Like: milk, curries, fries, rice items, salads, etc.
- Include this turmeric regularly in your diet plan.
2. Turmeric Milk
This process is used to cure allergies and the itchy throat symptoms. Try this method regularly either in the morning or at night time.
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Boiled milk – 1 cup
- Black pepper
- Add turmeric powder, black pepper and honey to boiling milk.
- Stir well until the turmeric has mixed properly in the milk.
- Drink on an empty stomach or before going to bed.
- Regular intake of this turmeric milk for 2 – 3 times a day will help to clear the allergic reaction.
3. Turmeric Juice with Honey
The turmeric has anti – bacterial and anti – inflammatory properties that help to cure allergies, while honey helps to soothe the allergy infected areas.
- Turmeric juice – 1 teaspoon
- Honey – 2 tablespoons
- Mix turmeric juice and raw honey in a bowl.
- Consume a spoonful of this mixture.
- Consuming this mixture regularly until the allergy has gone.
This mixture has powerful anti – inflammatory property that helps a lot in removing the excess mucus, heals respiratory tissue and thus clears the allergic reaction in the body
- Powdered turmeric – 4 tablespoon
- Honey – 6 tablespoons
- Clean glass jar
- Mix powdered turmeric and raw organic honey until it forms a paste in a bowl.
- Consume a teaspoon of this mixture and store the rest in a clean glass jar for further use.
- Repeat 3 times a day.
4. Turmeric Paste
It is used to treat many beauty and health ailments including the allergies.
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 cup
- Water – 1 cup
- Air tight container
- Pour turmeric powder and water in a small saucepan over the stove.
- Stir it well until it becomes a smooth paste.
- Boil it while stirring frequently.
- Reduce the heat and allow the mixture to simmer until it thickens.
- Take off the heat and allow it to cool.
- Store in a container and keep refrigerated.
- Consume this by adding in fruit juices or any liquids.
- Regular consumption will yield better results over allergies.
5. Turmeric Tea
- Turmeric powder – 1 to 2 teaspoon
- Honey – 1 to 2 teaspoon
- Warm water – 1 cup
- Add turmeric powder to warm water and mix well.
- Add honey and stir it in.
- Drink this turmeric tea regularly to treat seasonal allergies.
6. Turmeric with Lemon and Honey
This process is exclusively used to treat sinus allergies and helps to relieve you from pain and the discomfort caused by sinus allergies due to its anti-inflammatory property.
- Turmeric root – 2 big pieces
- Lemon – 1
- Honey – 1 tablespoon
- Cayenne pepper – pinch
- Banana (optional)
- Blend turmeric roots to get ground turmeric.
- Add freshly squeezed lemon juice from a whole lemon.
- Add honey, cayenne pepper and a little of water.
- Stir well to make a turmeric smoothie.
- You can also add a piece of banana for additional taste.
- Drink this turmeric smoothie regularly to preventsinus allergies.
7. Turmeric with Sandalwood Paste
This process is used to treat facial swelling that can be caused by allergies.
- Turmeric powder
- Red Sandalwood
- Lukewarm water
- Add equal quantities of red sandalwood and turmeric powder into little water.
- Mix to make a fine paste.
- Apply on the face gently with your hand.
- Let it sit for about 30 – 40 minutes and then rinse off with lukewarm water.
- This process gives a soothing relief from redness, tenderness and swelling.
- Repeat regularly.
8. Turmeric with Lemon, Apple Cider Vinegar and Honey
- Ground turmeric – 1 tablespoon
- Lemon zest – 1 teaspoon
- Raw apple cider vinegar – 2 tablespoons
- Honey – 1/4 cup
- Black pepper
- Mortar and pestle
- Whisk ground turmeric in a mortar and pestle to make a fine powder.
- Place in a bowl and add raw honey, lemon zest, organic, unfiltered apple cider vinegar and a pinch of black pepper.
- Mix well until smooth.
- Consume a tablespoon of the mixture.
- Store the remaining mixture in an airtight container and keep refrigerated. It will last about a week.
- Alternatively, mix a tablespoon of turmeric mixture in 12 – 16 ounces of warm water and drink.
- Or add a tablespoon of turmeric mixture in your smoothies.
- You can also take a teaspoon of paste and spread it on the top of the toast.
- Continue daily to get complete relief from the allergies and boost immune system.
9. Turmeric with Olive Oil and Water
- Turmeric powder – 1 to 2 teaspoons
- Olive oil – 1/4 teaspoon
- Water – 1 glass
- Black pepper powder
- Mix turmeric powder and olive oil to water.
- Add a pinch of black pepper powder and mix all ingredients together.
- Consume this daily to get relief from the seasonal allergies and asthma.
11. Turmeric Water
- Turmeric – 1 teaspoon
- Water – 8 oz glass
- Add pure organic turmeric powder to water.
- Stir well and drink regularly.
- You can also take vitamin C enriched fruits and vegetables to enhance the immune system.
Turmeric Supplements for Allergies:
You can also take turmeric in supplement forms like capsules or pills to get rid of seasonal allergies. Most people take 500 mg of turmeric capsules once a day on a regular basis to clear up the problem. Make sure to consult your doctor before taking these capsules. You can also use this in tinctures, smoothies or drink with nut milk.
Tips and Precautions:
- Avoid using turmeric milk if you’re allergic to dairy products. Use soy milk as a replacement.
- Sprinkle black pepper on turmeric recipes to assimilate turmeric more effectively.
- Make sure to check if turmeric is suited for your skin and body, as some people are allergic to turmeric.
- Turmeric can causes stains on both clothes and body.
- Make sure to consult your doctor before using these methods as the U.S Food and Drug Administration has not regulated these herbal remedies for treating allergies.
Consult the herbal practitioner or your doctor before using turmeric for allergy treatment to know about the dosage and the timing along with your present health condition for more effective results.
Do you know any other turmeric methods for allergy treatment? Then feel free to share your experience with us.
Hi everyone, this is Rajee!
I live the beautiful city of Baltimore, where my husband works.
I’m from India. I have been visiting India on and off for past few years and my mom was an inspiration for me to start this site. She has a wealth of knowledge on home remedies for a large number of health problems, and we grew up in an environment where frequent visits to the doctor just wasn’t logistically or financially feasible.
Despite this, she managed to raise a family of healthy kids, and my goal here at Home Remedies for Life is to pass on some of her knowledge of natural remedies.