Dandruff can be an embarrassing situation for many people. It is defined as dead skin cells that fall from the scalp as white flakes. It is caused by dry skin, oily skin, diet or stress, use of high-alkaline hair products, etc. The main cause for dandruff is by malassezia, a yeast like fungus that feeds on the oils from the hair follicles. Don’t worry, Vinegar is very effective to treat the problem.
Vinegar contains acetic acid and water which is obtained by fermenting dilute alcoholic liquids. Using either white, red or ACV will be effective in treating dandruff but this article looks at white vinegar methods.
Does Vinegar help to Prevent Dandruff?
Vinegar has many properties help to treat the dandruff problem.
- The acid content in the vinegar helps to reduce the itchiness of the scalp and drastically brings down the flaking.
- Vinegar helps to remove dead skin cells from the scalp which causes dandruff.
- Vinegar contains acetic acid that helps to kill the bacteria and fungus on your scalp.
- Vinegar is rich in potassium and enzymes that helps to cure an itchy scalp and dandruff successfully.
- It reduces the growth of bacteria and yeast like fungi by balancing the acid base and alkalizing the scalp.
- Vinegar helps to give proper blood circulation that helps to maintain healthy scalp and hair.
How to get rid of Dandruff with Vinegar:
Vinegar can be used in many ways to treat dandruff. Some of the most effective methods to treat dandruff are given below.
- Pour a sufficient amount of vinegar onto your hair, keeping your eyes closed.
- Massage your scalp.
- Let it dry for few minutes and then wash the hair.
- Don’t use a heavy shampoo and conditioner. Use citrus based or tea tree oil based shampoo.
- Repeating this vinegar wash daily until the dandruff goes away.
- You can add 3 drops of tea tree oil to the vinegar rinse for effective results.
- Apply a cup of vinegar onto your scalp with a cotton ball.
- Massage for a few minutes.
- Wrap a warm towel over your hair so the vinegar will get a chance to percolate into the scalp skin.
- Allow it to dry for about an hour and then wash it off with warm water.
- Don’t use shampoo after applying vinegar and repeat the process twice a week for at least a month.
2. Vinegar with Banana
- Peel a whole banana and add it to 2 cups of vinegar and stir it well.
- Make it like a fine paste and apply this to your hair.
- Massage gently for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Let it sit for about 20 minutes to an hour before rinsing your hair completely.
- Continue this process everyday for about a week, then one a week.
3. Vinegar with Warm Water
- Combine equal parts vinegar and warm water.
- Apply this diluted vinegar to your hair after shampooing.
- Massage your scalp for best results.
- Allow it to dry for few minutes and then rinse it off with warm water.
- Continue the process once a week.
4. Vinegar Massage
- Apply 3 tablespoons of vinegar to your scalp.
- Massage gently for few minutes and leave it for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Rinse your hair with mild shampoo followed by conditioner and water.
5. Vinegar and Tea Tree Oil Massage
Tea tree oil is a natural antiseptic which helps to cure the dandruff very effectively.
- Add 3 tablespoons of vinegar to 3 drops of tea tree oil.
- Mix it well and apply this to your scalp
- Massage gently and leave for a few minutes
- Wash it off with shampoo and water.
6. Vinegar Rinse
- Shampoo your hair with mild SLS free shampoo.
- Mix one part vinegar with 3 parts water.
- Rinse your hair with this mixture and leave for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Massage your hair gently and then wash it off.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly.
- Wash your hair with gentle shampoo.
- Rinse your hair and scalp with vinegar and wear a shower cap for about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Rinse off with plain water and repeat it regularly for best results.
7. Vinegar and Chamomile Tea
The tea will help to reduce the vinegar smell and makes your hair shiny and healthy.
- Add a tablespoon of white vinegar to 200 ml of chamomile tea.
- Rinse your hair with it.
- Leave it for 5 – 8 minutes and then wash it off thoroughly with water.
- Note: Don’t add milk to tea
8. Vinegar and Aspirin Rinse
- Add 3 crushed tablets of aspirin to a cup of vinegar.
- Mix it well and apply to wet hair after shampooing hair.
- Allow it to sit for 5 – 10 minutes and then wash off thoroughly.
- Follow with a mild conditioner. Rinse it off again.
- Dry your hair properly.
9. Vinegar and Water
- Take vinegar and water in the ratio of 1:3.
- Stir it well and use this solution to wash your hair and rinse with water.
- Or simply use the vinegar directly onto your hair.
- Wrap your hair in a towel and leave overnight.
- Rinse your hair with shampoo as usual.
10. Vinegar Solution Spray
- Take vinegar and water in 1:8 ratio.
- Stir it well and place it in spray bottle
- Wash your hair with mild shampoo and dry your hair naturally.
- Apply this diluted vinegar solution directly on your scalp using the spray bottle.
- Allow the vinegar solution to stay on your scalp for overnight.
11. Vinegar and Beet Root Juice
- Mix equal quantity of vinegar and beet juice
- Apply to your scalp.
- Let it sit for about 15 minutes and then rinse it off.
12. Vinegar with Lemon Juice
- Take 2 teaspoons of vinegar and add to a teaspoon of lemon juice
- Mix properly and apply to your scalp by gently massaging.
- Repeat daily.
Follow these notes to get the best results.
- Do not be worried about the smell of vinegar, as this will go once the hair has dried.
- Vinegar is acidic in nature so can cause a burning sensation if it gets in your eyes. Try to close your eyes if you are using these treatments.
- Vinegar might alter the color of colored hair.
Simply using vinegar will not solve the problem completely. Some lifestyle changes can also make a difference i.e. regular washing of your hair, cutting down the hair stylish products, a healthy diet, avoid stress, lessen the sun exposure to your hair, regularly combing your hair twice a day, don’t use harsh shampoo and conditioners, etc.
Do you have any remedies for dandruff using any type of vinegar? You may also want to check out how to treat dandruff using aloe vera. Share your experience with us.