Our teeth are coated with a layer called enamel which gives white color to teeth. Yellow layer lies below enamel called as dentin. When the enamel gets stained or stripped, the yellow layer is revealed.
Poor oral hygiene, unhealthy food habits, certain illness and medication are the causes of yellow teeth. While both smoking and chewing tobacco strips the enamel layer. Fresh lemon juice can be used as a natural home remedy to whiten teeth quickly.
Can lemon juice whiten teeth?
Here is how lemon juice can help to whiten the teeth.
- Lemon is a great source of vitamin C that lightens the teeth. It acts as a bleaching agent that clears the yellow discoloration.
- It contains citric acid that stimulates the saliva production which cleanses the mouth.
- The acidic and anti-bacterial properties of lemon juice help to kill mouth bacteria, give brighter teeth and prevent several oral diseases.
- The natural sweet smell of lemon juice helps to freshen the mouth.
How to Use Lemon Juice for Teeth Whitening:
You can use lemon either by gargling or scrubbing your teeth with lemon peel.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of water with 1 teaspoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Use this to brush your teeth for a minute thoroughly.
- Wash with water and brush your teeth with your regular toothpaste.
- Or apply it on the teeth with your fingers and leave on for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Make sure to rinse your mouth with clean water
- Repeat twice a week.
2. Lemon Peel
- Peel a lemon and apply this lemon peel on he teeth.
- Rub it all over the teeth for a minute or two then rinse with water.
- Continue doing this process regularly.
- Or blend lemon peel with water to make a fine paste.
- Use this to brush your teeth then rinse off thoroughly with clean water
- Repeat three times a week.
3. Lemon with Salt
- Mix1 teaspoon of salt in 2 – 3 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice and use as a toothpaste.
- Let it sit for few minutes and rinse it with water thoroughly.
- Or use a toothpaste which contains salt or lemon extracts.
- Or apply diluted lemon juice on your teeth and leave for 5 minutes.
- Massage your teeth with sea salt with your fingers then rinse with clean water.
- Follow this process twice a week.
4. Lemon with Baking Soda
When lemon juice is mixed with baking soda, it locks calcium in the enamel to strengthen and whiten the teeth.
- Mix equal quantities of baking soda and lemon juice to make a paste.
- Apply on teeth and leave it on for a minute.
- Brush your teeth with this paste for a minute or two before rinsing with water.
- Brush your teeth with your regular toothpaste to get rid of this mixture completely.
- Brush your teeth with it once or twice a week.
- Note: You can add a pinch of salt to the mixture.
- Or apply this baking soda/ lemon juice mixture on the teeth with the help of a cotton swab and rub it gently.
- Apply lemon juice diluted in water on your teeth and leave for 5 minutes.
- Make a paste of baking soda and water and use this to brush your teeth for 2 minutes.
- Rinse your mouth with water thoroughly.
- Follow this method 2 – 3 times a week.
- You can also use diluted lemon juice and baking soda to brush your teeth.
5. Lemon Juice with Hydrogen Peroxide and Baking Soda
- Mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda, some fresh lemon juice and hydrogen peroxide together.
- Use this mixture to brush your teeth for a minute or two.
- Wash your mouth and teeth completely with water.
- Repeat regularly.
- Note: You can use white vinegar instead of hydrogen peroxide.
6. Lemon Gargle
- Mix 1 part of lemon juice with 2 parts water and use as a mouthwash.
- Spit it out and rinse with clean water to remove all the bacteria, stains and plaque.
- Follow this process regularly.
- Or prepare a mouthwash by mixing a few drops of fresh lemon juice, pinch of salt and a cup of lukewarm water.
- Gargle twice a week and rinse off with water after use.
7. Lemon Oil for Teeth Whitening
Usage of lemon oil is also effective for teeth whitening.
- Pour 1 capsule of activated charcoal (or 1/4 teaspoon) in 1 tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Mix in 3 drops each of lemon oil and chamomile oil.
- Pour this charcoal oil mixture into your mouth and swish around for 10 – 20 minutes.
- Spit out and brush your teeth with regular toothpaste.
- Rinse your mouth with water.
- Repeat once or twice a week.
8. Mustard Oil with Salt and Lemon Juice
Mustard oil helps to strengthen teeth, reduces bad breath and maintains healthy gums.
- Mix 2 drops of fresh lemon juice with a tsp of mustard oil and ½ tsp of salt.
- Massage your teeth with this mixture for few minutes.
- Then rinse the mouth with water.
- Follow the process everyday after brushing your teeth.
Tips and Precautions:
Follow these tips for safe and effective results when using lemon juice.
- Does not use lemon too often as its high acid content damages the tooth enamel and calcium level.
- Always dilute the lemon juice in water before use.
- You can also add few drops of lemon juice on your toothbrush.
- Although the teeth will appear whiter, you will scrub away valuable tooth structure which in turn results in loss of teeth and its structure permanently.
- Do not leave lemon juice on the teeth for more than 15 minutes.
- Always use fresh lemon.
- Remember to rinse the mouth several times after using lemon.
- You can also include the lemon water in your daily diet.
- Make sure to consult your doctor before using these lemon methods for teeth whitening.
- Good oral hygiene and healthy diet can help to whiten teeth and prevent further yellowing.
Do you know any other lemon remedies for teeth whitening? Did you try any of these remedies? Please feel free to share your experiences with us.
Hi everyone, this is Rajee!
I live the beautiful city of Baltimore, where my husband works.
I’m from India. I have been visiting India on and off for past few years and my mom was an inspiration for me to start this site. She has a wealth of knowledge on home remedies for a large number of health problems, and we grew up in an environment where frequent visits to the doctor just wasn’t logistically or financially feasible.
Despite this, she managed to raise a family of healthy kids, and my goal here at Home Remedies for Life is to pass on some of her knowledge of natural remedies.