Diarrhea has a number of causes, from food poisoning to excessive alcohol consumption. We’ve all experienced the nausea, fever, abdominal cramps and other unfortunate symptoms of this common ailment, but many people don’t know there’s an equally common food that can effectively treat these symptoms. Yogurt has some amazing properties that can help restore and maintain the health and proper function of the digestive system, and you’re about to discover what they are and how they work.
Is Yogurt Good for Diarrhea?
- Plain unsweetened yogurt contains good bacteria called probiotics, which line the intestines and protect against the germs that cause disease.
- The lactic acid in yogurt kills the bad bacteria in your intestines.
- Yogurt contains lactobacillus acidophilus and bifidobacterium bifidum, live and active cultures which help to establish a proper balance of good bacteria in the digestive tract.
- When we take antibiotics to kill bad bacteria, they also kill good bacteria and other microorganisms that regulate stool consistency, leading to diarrhea. The probiotics in yogurt prevent that by reintroducing some of those microorganisms.
- Yogurt contains more protein than other diarrhea-prevention diet foods, so you can use it as long as needed without losing essential nutrients.
How to use Yogurt to Treat Diarrhea:
Adding plain unsweetened yogurt to a regular healthy diet helps to prevent diarrhea, and it can be used as a cure in the ways listed below. Try each method to treat diarrhea until you find the one that’s right for you.
- Eat a cup of plain yogurt twice a day after meals.
- This helps maintain the proper balance of good bacteria in your intestines.
2. Yogurt and Fenugreek Seeds
Fenugreek seeds cure indigestion and diarrhea.
- Mix ½ teaspoon fenugreek seeds into your cup of yogurt.
- Eat this to get rid of diarrhea.
- As a preventative measure, take one teaspoon fenugreek seeds with one tablespoon yogurt daily.
3. Yogurt, Cumin Seeds, and Fenugreek Seeds
- Roast and grind ½ teaspoon each of fenugreek and cumin seeds.
- Add this powder to 2 tablespoons of yogurt.
- Consume 3 times daily.
4. Yogurt with Black Seed Oil
- Stir 1 teaspoon black seed oil into 1 cup yogurt.
- Consume twice daily.
5. Yogurt with Banana
- Chop two bananas and mix the chunks into your yogurt.
- Consume once a day.
- Note: Try plain yogurt in a banana shake to treat diarrhea.
Greek Yogurt for Diarrhea
Greek yogurt contains tons of probiotics and it is anti-inflammatory and anti-pathogenic. It improves your resistance to harmful bacteria and encourages proper digestion. In addition to treating diarrhea, the acidophilus and lactobacillus organisms in Greek yogurt prevent vaginal yeast infections.
- Mix a cup of greek yogurt with your favorite fruit or vegetable puree and eat.
- Or Eat plain Greek yogurt twice a day
- This prevents diarrhea and boosts your immune system.
Diarrhea in Babies
Yogurt is a safe diarrhea treatment for babies over 6 months of age. It benefits them in all the same ways it benefits adults.
- Feed your baby 1 cup of regular or Greek yogurt twice a day.
- Or Mix in pureed fruits or veggies like strawberries or sweet potatoes, but keep the chunks small.
- Don’t add honey to your baby’s yogurt as this can cause infant botulism.
Tips for Treating and Preventing Diarrhea with Yogurt
- Check labels to make sure yogurt is not over-sweet, and that it contains live cultures.
- Overuse of yogurt can increase your risk of kidney stones and cause unwanted side effects, like sinus congestion, nausea, and cramps. Too much vitamin A from yogurt can weaken bones and increase the risk of ovarian cancer.
- Use any brand of yogurt that contains active bacteria cultures and natural vitamins and minerals. Check out Apple Cider Vinegar for diarrhea as well.
- Dairy products usually exacerbate diarrhea, but yogurt is an exception to that rule.
- In addition to yogurt, consume plenty of water and fruit juices (except prune or apple), get plenty of rest, drink lots of water, reduce stress, and eat a healthy diet.
Have you tried using yogurt to treat diarrhea? Are there any methods we haven’t mentioned?
Share your experience with us!