Acid reflux, also commonly known as Acid Indigestion, usually comes from the failure of the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) to contract after swallowing food, causing stomach acid to regurgitates up into esophagus. Acid reflux will cause heartburn but no pain. In more serious cases, Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) will occur.
Symptoms of Acid Reflux:
Following are some of the symptoms of Acid Reflux:
- Sore throat
- Soar mouth
- Bitter taste
- Dry coughing
- Trouble swallowing
- Horrible heartburn / chest pain
- Difficulty while blending or lying
- A little of Asthma
- Extra saliva
- Stomach fullness or bloating
- Hiccups frequently
- Diarrhea and Dental decay
Home Remedies for Acid Reflux:
Below are some natural homemade remedies which will help to prevent Acid Reflux.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) has an acidic nature which helps to break down fats and balance the pH levels. It also helps with better digestion.
Take one tbsp of raw apple cider vinegar (ACV) before each meal.
Related: Apple Cider Vinegar For Acid Reflux
2. Slippery Elm
Slippery Elm thickens the layer of mucous lining the stomach as a protective layer, and creates a strong barrier against acids.
- Stir 1-2 tbsp of Slippery Elm root bark powder into a glass of water.
- Drink it after meals and before going to bed.
- To improve its taste, you can add a little bit of sugar or honey for taste.
- Alternatively, suck Slippery elm lozenge.
- Start with a small amount of powder until you become accustomed to it.
Eat apples after your meals, particularly at night time, to prevent acid reflux. Apples create an alkaline state in stomach, neutralizing excess acids and ease the digestion process.
4. Baking Soda
Sodium bicarbonate acts as a base and neutralizes the acids in the stomach.
Mix a tbsp of baking in a glass of water and drink.
If you suffer with heartburn regularly, avoid this method. For more and detailed information, check here baking soda for acid reflux.
5. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera acts as a natural healing agent. It reduces the inflammation in esophagus and stomach. Take aloe vera juice and gel before meals.
Cardamom contains chemicals that treat stomach and intestinal spasms and gas, it also increases the movement of food through the intestine.
Grind 2 cardamoms and add 250 ml of water. Boil the mixture for about 15 minutes and drink.
7. Basil Leaves/ Indian Tulsi
Basil leaves can soothe the effects of acid reflux, it also helps to heal the irritation and soreness as well as ease the digestion process.
- Steep 3 basil leaves in 6-8 oz boiling water for 15 minutes.
- Remove the leaves and drink the tea.
- You could also just chew a few basil leaves before a meal.
Cloves has anti inflammatory properties, eugenol and includes other compounds like capsaicin, pinene etc., which helps with better digestion.
- Mix a pinch of clove powder in a tsp of honey and add it to small amount of hot water.
- Drink this to get relief fron acid reflux.
- Alternatively chew a few ground cloves after eating.
Milk is high in alkaline as well as contains a high acidic substance. It cures acid reflux and sometimes it can be a cause. Therefore, drink only a glass full of chilled fat free milk to get rid of the problem.
Potatoes are alkaline in nature and help to lessen the acid levels in the stomach. Eating potatoes with meals will help to reduce the problem.
11. Fennel Seeds
Fennel seeds contain a constituent called Anethole which has the ability to suppress stomach spasms and prevents the acid reflux. Therefore, chew half a tsp of fennel seeds after eating.
Banana works as a great remedy for acid reflux, as it acts as a natural antacid. It also contains potassium which helps to reduce the acid levels in your stomach and helps in better digestion. Eat a banana regularly for results. You can add little sugar and a pinch of cinnamon powder.
Yogurt contains probiotics which help to keep the digestive system healthy. It also helps to absorb the proteins and nutrients to the body. Be sure to eat lots of yoghurt.
Glutamine helps to strengthen the LES to prevent stomach acids coming back up. It also helps in repairing and healing the mucous membrane that is damaged by ongoing acid erosion.
Take 1 tsp of powdered amino acid with 4 ounces of water and drink it regularly after meals.
Organic honey acts as a soothing agent and helps to adjust the body’s pH, and neutralizes the stomach acids. So, take a spoon full of honey before bed.
16. Indian Gooseberry
Gooseberries can heal the digestive tract and protects against stomach acids. You can have them raw, in tea or in cooked form. However, use in moderation.
Ginger acts as an anti inflammatory and helps for better digestion. Crush a piece of ginger to extract the juice. Mix few drops of lemon juice and ginger juice and drink. It will help to cure the acid reflux.
Papaya contains an enzyme called Papain which dissolves proteins, so taking after meals will helps for better digestion.
19. Fenugreek seeds:
It is a natural herb that has the ability to absorb excess stomach acid and rich in fibre which helps for better digestion. Consume in either cooked or liquid form.
- Soak few fenugreek seeds in a glass of water for about 2-3 hours or overnight.
- Drink that water by straining out the seeds.
Almonds neutralize the juices in your stomach, relieving and preventing acid reflux. Take a few almonds and chew either in the morning or before meal or as a snack.
Drinking raw coconut water or milk directly, or using in cooking, helps to get relief from the problem.
Lemons help to create calcium carbonate which neutralizes digestive acids.
Drink lemon juice mixed with warm water in the morning. You can add honey to sweeten the juice.
23. Chamomile Tea
This reduces the inflammation in your stomach and balances the acidity levels.
- Boil a cup of water, add 1 tsp of dried chamomile petals.
- Let it in simmer for 45 minutes.
- Strain the leaves and drink.
Agrimony, also known as Stickwort or Cocklebur etc., helps to prevent acid reflux by removing unnecessary acids from the stomach and helps in easy digestion. It is very effective when consumed with milk.
Fasting is an excellent remedy for acid reflux, but make sure to drink liquids and fluids and eat fruits while fasting. Otherwise it will create a problem of heartburn & acid reflux.
26. Chewing Gum
Chewing gum not only eliminates the bad breath, but also prevents the heartburn and acid reflux. Chew a piece of sugar free gum for at least 30 minutes after eating. It helps to simulate the salivary flow rate, so any acid in the gut is washed away.
27. Calcium Nitrate Powder
Take 250 mg of calcium nitrate powder and dissolve it in water. Drink this at least 4 times a day.
Most of the production of melatonin occurs in the stomach, small intestine and colon, which helps for the better digestion. Taking a supplement of melatonin will help to protect the digestive system or tract.
29. DGL (Deglycyrrhizinated licorice)
DGL helps to increase the protective mucous coating in your stomach, intestinal tract and LES, preventing aggravation and irritation from stomach acids. Take DGL either in chewing tablets or powder form, half tsp dissolved in a glass of water.
Healthy Foods to Prevent Acid Reflux:
Taking the following things/ food will help to prevent the acid reflux.
- Red apples
- Basil leaves
- Herbal teas
- Grape fruit
- Yellow mustards
- Vegetable juices
- All vitamin and minerals
- Fennel vegetable
- All roots and green vegetables
- Brown rice and Couscous
Triggers of Acid Reflux:
Listed below are the general triggers of acid reflux:
- Smoking and drinking alcohol
- Over weight
- Citrus fruits
- Fatty food and fast food
- Certain supplements or medications
- Caffeinated drinks
- Garlic and onions
- Beverages drinks like soda
- High fat meals and foods like beef
- Salads and cheeses
- Salt and pepper
Tips to Prevent Acid Reflux:
You can prevent acid reflux by following the tips below.
- Elevate your head up to 6 inches while sleeping to prevent heartburn and GERD.
- Don’t smoke or drink. Too much alcohol consumption decreases the functional ability of the lower esophageal sphincter.
- Eat smaller meals more frequently.
- Avoid oily, spicy and acidic food.
- Avoid tight fitting clothes, which put pressure on your abdomen and lower esophageal sphincter.
- If you’re overweight, reduce your weight slowly, as excess pounds will put pressure to your abdomen.
- Avoid lying down after meals, wait at least 2-3 hours.
- Avoid stress and anxiety.
- Include organic, fresh, raw fruits and vegetables, which contain living enzymes, in your diet.
- Take food that contains minerals, vitamins, vitamin B-Complex, folate etc., this will helps to repair the entire digestive system and improves the central nervous system’s digestive control.
- Notice what is particularly causing the problem, and try to avoid that.
- Drink plenty of water and fluids.
- Avoid eating quickly.
- Do regular exercise.
- Avoid bending or lifting heavy objects within an hour of eating meals.
- Poultry, fish and sea foods should be cooked either by boiling, baking, grilling or saturating.
Hyssopus officinalis / Hyssop, German Chamomile, Wood Betony / Purple Betony also helps to prevent the acid reflux.
Take 150 mg of gamma-oryzanol three times a day on an empty stomach which helps to prevent the acid reflux.
Do you know any other remedies to treat acid reflux? Please share your experience with us.