When the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) fails to contract, it allows digestive acids to travel backward from the stomach to the throat, causing burning sensations in the chest. This is what’s known as heartburn, or, in more severe cases, acid reflux or acid indigestion. Other symptoms include bloating, burping, nausea, mouth soreness, dizziness, and hiccups. Heartburn is often triggered by stress and the consumption of greasy, fatty, or spicy foods.
There are plenty of commercial antacids available over the counter, but their effects are short -lived, and they often contain chemicals that cause unwanted side effects. Instead of wasting money on those, try almond milk. It’s a natural, affordable, effective remedy for heartburn and acid reflux. Before we tell you exactly how to use it, take a look at the reasons why it works.
Is Almond Milk Good for Acid Reflux?
- Almond milk is alkaline, it neutralizes stomach acids that cause heartburn.
- Almond milk contains vitamins D and E, manganese, magnesium, and anti-oxidants that support proper digestion.
- Almond milk is rich in calcium, which helps the LES contract properly, preventing acid reflux.
- Because it is plant-based, almond milk is low in unhealthy fats.
- It contains omega – 3 fatty acids that reduce inflammation caused by digestive acids.
- Almond milk coats the linings of the esophagus and stomach, preventing corrosion of delicate tissues while soothing burning sensations caused by heartburn.
- The natural oils in almond milk also neutralize digestive acids.
How to Treat Acid Reflux with Almond Milk
Almond milk can be used alone and in combination with other natural ingredients that keep the digestive system healthy. Drink almond milk daily, use it with cereal and oatmeal, put it in coffee and tea, and try all the recipes below.
1. Strawberry – Almond Milk Smoothie
- In a blender, mix 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk, 1 cup of fresh strawberries, 1 fresh banana, and 1 cup of spinach until smooth.
- Drink at least 3 times a week.
2. Avocado – Almond Milk Smoothie
- In a blender, mix 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk, ½ of a fresh peeled avocado, 1 fresh banana, 1 tablespoon each of raw honey, bee pollen, chia seeds, and ½ teaspoon each of ground cinnamon and vanilla until smooth.
- Drink at least 3 times a week.
3. Green Tea with Almond Milk
- Brew organic green tea.
- Fill 2/3 of a mug with green tea.
- Fill the last 3rd of the mug with cool almond milk.
- Drink whenever you get heartburn.
4. Oatmeal with Almond Milk
- Cook your oatmeal using almond milk instead of regular milk.
- Mix in banana slices and top with raw honey and flax seeds to further neutralize stomach acids.
- Eat at least 3 times a week.
- Cook ½ cup of oatmeal in 1 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk.
- Mix in 1 tablespoon of toasted coconut, 2 tablespoons of brown sugar and banana slices.
- Eat this to get rid of acid reflux.
5. Pineapple – Almond Milk Smoothie
- In a blender, mix 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1 cup of apple juice, 1 cup of frozen pineapple chunks, ½ cup of strawberries, ½ cup of plain Greek yogurt, and 1 teaspoon turmeric until smooth.
- Drink this before breakfast to get rid of acid reflux.
6. Ginger—Melon–Almond Milk Smoothie
- In a blender, mix 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk, ½ cup each of cantaloupe, watermelon, and honeydew, and 2 teaspoons of ground ginger and 1 ripe banana until smooth.
- Have this whenever you have acid reflux.
7. Almond Milk and Herb Smoothie
- In a soup pot, bring 250 ml of coconut milk and almond milk to a simmer.
- Stir in 10 leaves of rooibos tea leaves, 1 tablespoon of fresh ginger root, and1 teaspoon each of ground cinnamon, cardamom, and nutmeg.
- Let simmer 5 minutes to make a tea.
- Remove from heat and strain out tea leaves.
- In a blender mix, milk/herb tea, ½ of an avocado, 1 tablespoon each of chia seeds and coconut oil and a small handful of almonds and walnuts until smooth.
- sprinkle cinnamon or nutmeg powder over it.
- Drink at least 3 times a week.
8. Papaya – Almond Milk Smoothie
- In a blender, mix ½ cup of unsweetened almond milk, 1 cup papaya chunks, 1 cup plain Greek yogurt, 1 banana, 2 tablespoons of raw honey, and 2 tablespoons of almonds until smooth.
- Drink in the morning.
9. Double Almond Smoothie
- In a blender, mix 2 cups of unsweetened almond milk, 1 fresh banana, 1 tablespoon of almond butter, 1 teaspoon of raw honey and ½ cup crushed ice until smooth.
- Have this as a breakfast smoothie to get relief from the acid reflux.
10. Cocoa – Almond Milk Smoothie
- In a blender, mix 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk, 1 cup of torn romaine lettuce leaves, 2 fresh bananas, 1 tablespoon of raw cocoa powder, and ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract and blend until smooth.
- Add 1 cup of almond milk until smoothie reaches desired consistency.
- Drink this to get complete relief from acid reflux.
11. Berry – Almond Milk Smoothie
- In a blender, mix 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk with ½ cup each of strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries until smooth.
- Drink 3 times a week.
12. Homemade Raw Almond Milk
- Fill a container halfway with 1 cup of almonds.
- Cover them with water, put a lid on the container, and let soak overnight.
- In the morning, drain water.
- In a blender, mix soaked almonds, 3 cups of fresh water, and ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract until smooth.
- Strain mixture through cheesecloth to extract milk.
- Store milk in refrigerator.
- Have this chilled milk before meals to reduce acid reflux.
- you can also add 1 teaspoon of flaxseeds instead of vanilla bean .
- Or use in the above recipes in place of store-bought almond milk.
Tips and Precautions:
For best results, follow the advice below when using almond milk to treat heartburn and acid reflux.
- Always use homemade or store-bought organic, unsweetened almond milk in the above recipes.
- Make sure milk is fresh.
- Use almond milk only in recommended amounts as over-consumption of almonds worsens heartburn.
- If heartburn persists after 2 weeks of almond milk treatments, consult your doctor.
- These almond milk remedies must be used regularly for at least two weeks to effectively prevent heartburn and acid reflux.
- Almond milk remedies work best when used in combination with a healthy diet and regular exercise.
- Drink at least 8 glasses of water per day.
Have you tried any of these methods for using almond milk to treat heartburn and acid reflux? Tell us which ones worked best for you!
Image source – Flickr