According to a survey, almost 75% of women experience vaginal yeast infection at least once in their lifetime.
Why do we get a vaginal yeast infection…? Knowing the root cause helps in solving the problem and its recurrence.
Various factors like hormonal changes, oral contraceptives, high level of sugar intake, weak immune system and antibiotics, create favourable conditions in the vagina for the yeast to thrive.
Topical application of apple cider vinegar reduces the yeast infection and its symptoms. Internal consumption of acv deals with internal problems like diabetes and weak immune system causing yeast infection.
How to Use ACV for Vaginal Yeast Infection?
After an in-depth research on the root cause of yeast infection, we developed a routine which not only treats the infection but also prevents its recurrence. Several readers have tried apple cider vinegar remedies and found success. You can read their experiences below.
|For severe or internal yeast infection||Morning – Douching, bathing, drinking acv
If the symptoms didn’t reduce, try tampon method and drink acv after few hours.
Night – douching, bathing, spray and drink acv
Note: If the symptoms reduce by more than 40% then avoid tampon method.
|For mild or external infection||Drinking acv 3 times a day, bathing and spraying acv (if required).|
|To avoid recurrence||Drink acv daily 2 times a day|
Before trying out regular treatments, make sure to perform a patch test. To avoid burning sensations, make sure to use low acidic apple cider vinegar (5% or less) or dilute it with water.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar Douche
This remedy is considered as the highly effective ones because it helps in regulating pH of the vagina and prevents yeast growth.
Once the vinegar mixture is applied to vagina through douching, the symptoms of yeast infection like itching and vaginal discharge will be reduced. You can notice improvement with the first application itself.
All you need for this process is apple cider vinegar, water and a douche kit. If a douche kit is not available then you can enema kit.
- Combine 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar into 1 quart of warm water (distilled or filtered water which is first boiled and cooled to warm).
- Using a funnel, pour the mixture into the douche bag and attach the nozzle.
- Hold the bag carefully just below the pelvis and exert very slight pressure.
- Repeat the process 2 times a day if you have severe symptoms of vaginal yeast infection.
- Once you attain improvement, the process can be used once in a day.
Things to Remember While Douching
- Once the infection is reduced and you are symptom-free, you can stop following the process.
- Don’t overdo the douching process, as it can wash away the good bacteria along with bad bacteria.
- Use only small amount of pressure while douching as you only want to flush the vaginal canal. Excess pressure can push the solution up through cervix to uterus which is not good.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar Bath
It provides relief irritation, cleanses the infection and deodorizes.
- Fill your bathtub with enough amounts of warm water (enough water that covers groin and just up to the belly).
- Add 2 cups of apple cider vinegar and 1 cup iodized sea salt into it.
- Sit in the bath with your knees folded towards the body (don’t stretched out the legs flat).
- Soak in this bath mixture for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Gently pat yourself dry.
- For effective results, you can add few drops of tea tree oil into the mixture.
Things to Remember
- Make sure the area is completely dry before putting on clothes.
- Make sure to wear cotton underpants which are washed in natural unscented detergent.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar Soaked Tampon
This process ensures a close contact of vinegar to the walls of vagina. It helps in reducing the itching and irritation caused by the yeast infection. Improvement can be observed within 2 – 3 times of application.
All you need for this process is a tampon, raw apple cider vinegar and water.
- Combine equal amounts of apple cider vinegar and water.
- Soak a tampon in the mixture and insert it into the vagina for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Remove the tampon and wash the area with warm water.
- Wipe the area until it is completely dry.
- Repeat the process until the infection and symptoms are cleared.
Things to Remember While Using Tampon
- It may sting a little bit but don’t worry.
- Make sure to completely dry the area after rinsing it off with water as the moisture can encourage the growth of yeast infection.
- Keeping tampon more than the mentioned time can helps yeast infection growth. So don’t forget to take it off after the mentioned time limit.
- If the application is too strong for you creating unbearable discomfort, then reduce the amount of apple cider vinegar.
- Don’t use tampon methods if you are using other vaginal products like clotrimazole inserts.
- Avoid using tampon method if you are pregnant.
- Use unscented tampons for this process.
4. Consuming ACV
Consumption of apple cider vinegar regularly reduces the possibility of yeast infection development. It will help to maintain the pH balance of the body.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of acv in a glass of water.
- Drink 3 times a day.
Other ways to include ACV in diet:
- Apple cider vinegar can be mixed with fresh fruit or vegetable juice. This prevents yeast infection spreading.
- It can also be used to pickle fruits and vegetables. You can include these pickled foods in your daily diet.
- It can also be used in preparing various salads that include coleslaw.
- You can use it in preparing the salad dressing. This can be sprinkled on baked potatoes and other foods for consumption.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar Spray
Spraying the solution once in a day helps in providing extra relief from the itchiness and infection. This process can be used in combination with any of the methods mentioned in this article and it is easy to use whenever you want. Follow this method if you have mild infection.
For this process you will need apple cider vinegar, water and a spray bottle.
- Dilute apple cider vinegar in water.
- Pour the mixture into a spray bottle.
- Spray the solution on the affected areas of the vagina.
- Leave it to dry completely.
- Repeat the process whenever you want.
Things to Remember
- The quantity of apple cider vinegar and water depends on your capability to holding the stinging sensation of the solution.
- Let the solution dry completely, before wearing cotton under wear.
- Avoid using this process for severe infections.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar Soak
This process also can be used to prevent yeast infection and when the yeast infection is mild. This helps to prevent the yeast infection from growing. It helps in balancing the ph levels.
All you need for this process is acv, water and a wash cloth
- Dilute apple cider vinegar in water.
- Soak a wash cloth in it.
- Wring out the excess and place in on the vagina.
- Let it stay for 15 minutes.
- Remove the wash cloth and let the area dry completely.
- Repeat the process once or twice a day.
Things to Remember
- Use this process only if you have mild yeast infection.
- Don’t let the wash cloth stay for more than the mentioned time frame.
Before concluding with the article, we would like to provide a solution for yeast infection in males. Males also get yeast infection around the penis. For this you can follow any method mentioned below.
Supplements and Essential Oils to Fight Yeast Infection:
Apart from home remedies, certain supplements and essential oils are helpful in controlling the yeast. Let’s have a look at them…
Probiotic Supplements: They are helpful in introducing large number of good bacteria into the gut, maintaining normal acidity levels in the intestines and boost the immune system.
After researching , we have shortlisted the best probiotic supplements meant for vaginal health.
Apple Cider Vinegar: The pH level of a healthy vagina ranges from approximately 4.0 to 4.5. A change in these levels can encourage candida growth. ACV helps in balancing the pH levels.
Here’s what we recommend: Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar
Coconut Oil: The lauric acid and caprylic acid present in coconut oil kills the candida. Consuming 3.5 tablespoons of organic extra virgin coconut oil daily has shown positive results.
Here’s what we recommend: Organic Virgin Coconut Oil – Nutiva
Essential Oils: Though tea tree oil, lavender and myrrh oils are gentle, it can help to kill the yeast, parasites, bacteria and fungi. If any essential oil is diluted in coconut oil and applied outside the vagina, it helps in fighting off the cadida.
Vitamin C: It is helpful in boosting adrenal glands and restoring the immune system. 1,000 milligrams of vitamin C, 2 times in a day is recommended.
Here’s what we recommend: NOW Foods Vitamin C Tablets
How to Treat Male Yeast Infection with Apple Cider Vinegar?
Here are few ways of treating male yeast infection with apple cider vinegar.
- To a warm low bath, add 2 cups of apple cider vinegar and stir well. Low bath water states enough water which ensures only legs and penis are covered. Soak for 20 – 30 minutes and make sure to pull back the foreskin to make sure head of the penis is properly soaked.
- Add 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar into 2 quarts of warm water. Dip cotton into the mixture and gently bathe the affected area.
- Consuming diluted apple cider vinegar is essential in re-balancing the good bacteria in your intestinal tract. This prevents and stops spreading the Candida fungus to others of the body. Combine 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar into 8 oz glass of water. Consume the mixture 3 times a day.
The Best Type of ACV for Yeast Infection:
For best results, it is very important to choose the right apple cider vinegar. Original apple cider vinegar is made up of fermented and pressed apple juice. The natural sugar present in apples converts it into vinegar.
- Choose organic, unfiltered, unpasteurized and unprocessed apple cider vinegar. Avoid choosing refined and clear acv stuff available in the stores. Don’t use white and plain white vinegar. White vinegar creates an environment that helps yeast growth.
- A good quality of apple cider vinegar always contains ‘mother’ of vinegar in it. It is cloudy stuff that floats or stays at the bottom of the bottle. This mother element contains all the beneficial enzymes, trace elements and bacteria which make apple cider vinegar beneficial in treating infections and other ailments.
- Always shake the bottle well before using apple cider vinegar, as it distributes the good elements throughout the liquid.
Tips and Precautions:
- The acidic nature of apple cider vinegar causes burns if undiluted. So it is always recommended to dilute apple cider vinegar with water for eliminating yeast infections without causing burns.
- Remember that on starting apple cider vinegar regimen initially the symptoms may worsen for few days. This happens due the rapid yeast dying off. Headache, foggy thinking for a couple of hours can be noticed for a couple of days which should be cleared quickly.
- Make sure to wear loose fitted cotton panties which help to minimize the irritation.
- To maintain the good bacteria balance in the body it is better to consume plant-based probiotic or yogurt.
- Avoid sugar or sweet food items as it worsens the yeast infection.
- If you don’t like taste, ACV can also be consumed in supplement forms as well. It is available in tablet, tonic or in capsule form. Regular intake of ACV supplements strengthens immune system, prevents bacterial and yeast infection. Companies making the acv supplements claim that they contain the same nutrients composition available in raw ACV. Yet the quantity of calcium, iron etc may vary from one manufacturer to another. A study states that consumption of acv in tablet form can cause esophageal injury so it is very important to use them very carefully. (1)
- You may experience some digestion changes while using ACV but remember that body is healing and getting rid of bad bacteria. If you have hard time sleeping, take warm bath or consume magnesium or magnesium rich foods. Make sure to get enough amount of fresh sunlight daily morning. Eat healthier foods that your body adjusts.
- Yeast infection of the lower intestines (especially colon and rectum) can be cured with diluted apple cider vinegar. This helps to expel the yeast infection and provide relief from its symptoms.
- Make sure to avoid scented pads, bubble bath and tampons.
- Due the acidic nature of ACV, it may cause irritation or burning sensation so it is better to dilute it before using.
- Avoid using vinegar if you are allergic it.
- If the infection is increasing, consult a doctor.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1) How to Use Apple cider vinegar for yeast infection During Pregnancy?
An apple cider vinegar rinse can be of a great help in treating infection during pregnancy. To make this rinse, you have to take a peri bottle and fill it with 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar into it. Fill the rest of the bottle with water (chlorine free) and place it in your bathroom. Wipe the area (front to back) and squirt the solution on the outside of the vagina and air dry the area. For extra relief you can stand in front of a fan. Do this daily after taking out a shower. Continue doing this for at least a week or two. Once the symptoms are gone completely, you can stop the treatment.
You can also squirt inside the vagina or douches if you are interested, but it is important to wait until the irritation is gone as it will burn. If you are strong enough you can make the solution a little stronger but remember it will burn badly.
Use only apple cider vinegar as plain white vinegar actually helps the yeast to grow and restore the ph balance and kill the yeast infection. ACV can also be consumed internally by mixing 1 teaspoon of Bragg’s organic apple cider vinegar into a cup of water. You can add some ACV into warm bath water and soak for relief daily until 15 minutes.
Note: Never ever use tampon during pregnancy.
2) Does Apple cider Vinegar Make Yeast Infection Worse?
No, apple cider vinegar doesn’t worsen the yeast infection. Initially, the symptoms may worsen but after few days the symptoms will reduce. This happens when the ACV deals with the yeast so don’t worry. White, balsamic and other vinegars apart from apple cider vinegar can worsen the yeast infection. As the yeast thrive on sugars present in them.
3) How Long for Apple Cider Vinegar to Work for Yeast Infection?
It is difficult to tell the exact time as everyone’s condition and healing capacity is different. It may take few days to several weeks. You can observe improvement in few days. Be patient and follow the remedy regularly to treat the infection soon.
Apple cider vinegar helps to cure yeast infection but In order to ensure the infection doesn’t re-occur, it is important to take care of lifestyle, diet and others. Without taking proper care of them, you are dealing only with symptoms but no with underlying issues. With this stated, it is true that mainstream drugs cannot achieve this. This why, many men and women are choosing natural cure over them.
Did you try these methods? Do you have any methods that work better than the above mentioned? Share them in the comments section below.