Baking soda (also known as sodium bicarbonate) is a common household substance, most often used as a rising agent in baking. It has a white crystalline appearance. Apart from its myriad of industrial and household uses, this miracle compound can be a quick and natural way to relieve the problematic symptoms of an upset stomach.
Read on for some of the long tried and tested all-natural ways to fix your upset stomach using baking soda.
Nothing ruins your day faster than having unhappy digestion. As a solution, most people tend to grab the nearest bottle of antacids or some other strong medicine. Before you do that, the best way to avoid an upset stomach is to identify the cause of issue.
Common Causes of an Upset Stomach
- Bad eating habits such as over-eating and fast eating
- Eating unhealthy, greasy, or over-salted foods
- Frequent gastric reflux
- High stress
- Certain medicines (talk to your doctor if you suspect something like this)
If you do get an upset stomach for any reason, then use the following home remedies to give your internal system a break from the daily assault of preservatives and toxins that we ingest with our unhealthy diet.
An upset stomach can signal a serious problem and, if left untreated, can lead to some intestinal problems like nausea, heartburn, or stomach cancer.
So is Baking Soda a Good Remedy for an Upset Stomach?
Some of the facts which prove the effectiveness of baking soda as a remedy for an upset stomach:
- Baking soda acts as a natural antacid, helping to neutralize the acids in your digestive tract.
- It breaks down food and makes digestion easier.
- The addition of baking soda restores the pH balance of the body
- Baking soda relieves excess gas and bloating.
A word of caution: Make sure that you don’t take it in large amounts, as it can cause high blood pressure. Also avoid taking it if you’re on a sodium-restricted diet – doing so can lead to other health issues.
Specific Methods and Detailed Remedies
Baking soda can be used in many ways to treat the upset stomach. Try these methods to get relief.
Simple 2 Ingredient Methods (Baking Soda + Water):
A simple solution prepared with water can be used; it is an easy way to treat your painful symptoms.
Baking soda dissolves quickly in water and is absorbed in the intestines. It neutralizes the effects of an acidic diet or meal. The carbonation that occurs when sodium bicarbonate mixes with water will promote burping, which relieves excess gas and bloating to ease the upset stomach and pain.
This diluted baking soda helps to treat:
- Upset stomach or indigestion
- GERD (Gastroesophageal reflux disease)
1. Diluted Baking Soda
- Add ½–1 teaspoon of baking soda to half a glass of water
- Mix well to dissolve completely
Drink this once every 4 hours (or as per the severity of your problem). This is intended for adults, not children, and the dosage should not exceed 5 teaspoons per day.
2. Baking Soda with Warm Water
- Add 1 teaspoon of baking soda to 1 cup of warm of water
- Stir in a few drops of lemon juice
- Mix well and drink to get relief from upset stomach within 10–15 minutes
This process help to soothe the stomach. Repeat once in 3 hours, if upset stomach persists.
3. Baking Soda with Vinegar and Water
- Take a small glass of water and add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- Stir well and add a teaspoon of vinegar. Vinegar (either ACV or plain) helps to reduce acidity
- It will start bubbling up – if it doesn’t, add a bit of baking soda and vinegar
- Wait for few minutes until the bubbles settle down a bit before you drink it
- Drink this in about 10 seconds to get relief from the upset stomach
If you don’t feel any improvement within 15 minutes then drink another brew (try a slightly stronger solution).
4. Baking Soda with Lemon
- Take 2 lemons and squeeze the juice from it
- Add ½ teaspoon of baking soda and little bit of sugar or honey (to sweeten)
- Mix it well as it will foam quickly. Drink while it is foaming.
It will release the gases that are trapped in the stomach through carbonation and this baking soda neutralizes the stomach acid. This process is also used to treat stomach pain.
5. Baking Soda with Lemon and Peppermint Leaves
- Take ½–1 teaspoon of baking soda, a teaspoon of lemon juice and few crushed peppermint leaves
- Add these to ½ cup of water and mix it well
- Consume this immediately by adding small ice cubes (if you have burning sensation in the stomach)
This combination will bring the immense relief from the problem by soothing the upset stomach.
6. Baking Soda with Peppermint Tea
- Make a cup of peppermint tea and add ½–1 teaspoon of baking soda
- Mix it well and drink this immediately, or add lemon juice and then drink
Remember that it will take around 10–15 minutes to show its effects on indigestion.
7. Baking Soda with Apple Cider Vinegar
- Take ¼ teaspoon of baking soda and 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- Mix it well in 250 mg of water for a minute until thoroughly mixed
- This combination will produce lot of bubbles – mix this inside a large empty pitcher and add apple cider vinegar very slowly
- Slice an orange into 8 equal wedges and set aside
- Drink this solution immediately at once to get rid of the upset stomach, GERD, heartburn, nausea, etc.
- Eat the citrus wedges to take the sour taste from your mouth, or eat a slice of any fruit
Consume this thrice a day to get complete relief from the upset stomach.
Quick Tip: You can avoid the water and simply take baking soda and apple cider vinegar solution to treat upset stomach.
This should be taken for 5 days straight and then stopped for 2 days, then continue it whenever you suffer from upset stomach.
Consult your doctor if you have any digestive condition that affects the mouth, esophagus, stomach or intestines.
8. Baking Soda with Apple Cider Vinegar and Honey
- Take a teaspoon each of baking soda, apple cider vinegar and honey
- Mix well in a glass of water
Drink this twice a day for a couple of weeks to get relief from a sour stomach.
What Dosage Should You Use?
To get relief from the indigestion, take the right dosage of baking soda.
- For adults, it is advisable to take ½-1 teaspoon of baking soda for every 3–4 hours (as per the severity and relief)
- For children of above 6 years, it is advisable to take ¼-½ teaspoon of baking soda.
These baking soda remedies will not be used for the children of below 6 years until and unless it is prescribed by the doctor with the right dosage.
Important Points to be Considered When Using these Baking Soda Remedies:
- Avoid taking baking soda if you’re on a sodium-restricted diet
- Consult the doctor before taking it as an antacid because it may interact with certain prescription drugs.
- Avoid giving this to children below 6 years age.
- People suffering from congestive heart failure, calcium absorption interference, gas, kidney damage, liver cirrhosis, etc. should avoid consuming baking soda.
- Pregnant women and breastfeeding women should also consult their doctor before using these remedies.
A Few Healthy Tips to Avoid Stomach Problems:
Taking baking soda will get you relief from upset stomach and digestive issues, but it’s wise to remember some basic lifestyle tips to avoid these problems in the first place.
A few basic changes can affect your health and overall digestion.
- Stick to a healthy diet
- Have regular meals at specific times
- Regular exercise (start out with light exercises)
- Eat your meals slowly and at a relaxed pace
- Avoid fatty, oily, spicy, junk foods
Use these quick-fix methods if you are having problems with an upset stomach. Baking soda is an invaluable item to have handy for times when you face digestive issues.
Have you tried any of these methods? Or do you know any other baking soda remedies for upset stomach? Then share your experience with us and please leave a comment.