Cellulite, also known as adiposis edematosa, is fat that floats freely just below the skin, giving it a dimpled, lumpy look similar to cottage cheese. It’s a common problem for adult and adolescent women, and it typically forms at the hips, thighs, buttocks, and abdomen
It’s usually caused by genetics, poor diet, and an unhealthy lifestyle. While cellulite is not a serious medical problem, it can seriously damage self-confidence. If you want to get rid of cellulite, try the safe, inexpensive home remedies listed below.
Home Remedies for Cellulite:
1. Dry Brushing
Dry brushing stimulates blood and lymph flow and it removes toxins from your outer layer of skin, making it look smoother.
- Make sure that the brush and skin should be dry.
- Brush your skin towards heart to increase blood circulation but not long sweeps, scrubbing, going back or forth and circular motions.
- Start with your legs, brushing fast and short, upward strokes from low to high, concentrating on areas where cellulite is visible.
- Next, brush your arms, using upward stroke moving from wrist to shoulder.
- After that, brush your stomach, moving from lower to upper abdomen.
- The idea is to move from outer extremities toward your heart to stimulate blood flow.
- Dry brush legs, arms, and stomach for 5-10 minutes, then take a shower to wash away toxins and dead skin cells.
- Repeat this process every day before showering for 1 to 2 months or until you observe improvement.
- Note: Choose the brush which has soft fiber bristles. Don’t brush on broken skin.
2. Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper burns fat, stimulates circulation, increases metabolism, and flushes toxins from the body.
- Boil a glass of water and stir in 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper, 1 teaspoon grated ginger, and 1 teaspoon lemon juice.
- Drink this tea 3 times a day daily for 1 – 2 months to reduce cellulite.
- In a bowl, mix 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, ½ cup of coffee grounds, and ¼ cup of olive oil.
- Rub this mixture on places where cellulite is visible.
- Leave on 10 minutes, then shower.
- Repeat 3 times weekly.
Gelatin tightens skin to reduce the appearance of cellulite. It also contains amino acids that help to strengthen the immune system, regulate weight, and support healthy hair and skin.
- Mix honey, vanilla, and gelatin to make homemade marshmallows.
- You can add probiotics to the recipe for better results.
- Eat them regularly.
- You can include gelatin in your diet to treat the problem.
4. Coffee Grounds
Coffee grounds exfoliate skin to remove dead cells and encourage the growth of new cells, and caffeine tightens skin to reduce lumpiness. It also stimulates blood and lymph flow.
- Melt 3 tablespoons of coconut oil.
- Stir in ¼ cup coffee grounds and stir in 3 tablespoons sugar.
- Massage the resulting paste into cellulite for several minutes and leave on 3 minutes.
- Wash off with water.
- Repeat 3 times weekly.
- Note: You can store remaining paste in glass jar.
- Mix 1/2 cup of coffee grounds with extra virgin olive oil.
- Heat in a microwave for 20 – 30 seconds.
- Massage the resulting paste into cellulite. Cover it with a plastic wrap.
- Leave for one hour.
- Repeat twice a week to get relief from cellulite.
5. Juniper Oil
Juniper oil detoxifies the body and reduces water retention.
- Mix 15 drops of juniper oil with ¼ cup of olive oil.
- Massage into cellulite for 10 minutes and leave on.
- Repeat twice a day.
- You can observe the result after one month.
Seaweed is a natural exfoliating agent that stimulates blood circulation, improves skin texture, and flushes harmful toxins from your body.
- Mix 3 tablespoons of ground seaweed with ¼ cup of sea salt and ¼ cup of olive oil.
- Massage into cellulite for 10 minutes, then shower.
- Pat skin dry and moisturize.
- Repeat once a day.
- You can store the mixture in an air tight container for future use.
- OR Add 4 sheets of seaweed to a warm bath and soak 20 minutes twice a week.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar contains potassium, magnesium, and calcium, which flush toxins from the body and reduce water retention.
- Mix 1 part of apple cider vinegar with 2 parts of water.
- Add little honey and stir well.
- Apply on the affected area and rub gently.
- Leave on 30 minutes, then rinse with warm water.
- Repeat twice daily.
- Mix equal quantities of apple cider vinegar and water.
- Rub it on cellulite area and wrap with plastic wrap.
- Place a warm towel over the plastic wrap and leave for one hour.
- Remove wrap and rinse with lukewarm water.
- Repeat once a day to get desired results.
- Also mix 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with a teaspoon of honey. Consume twice a day regularly.
8. Detox Baths
Detox baths help you relax, relieve aches, and wash toxins from the skin to reduce irritation.
- Mix ¼ cup each of sea salt, Epsom salt, and baking soda.
- Stir these into a quart of water until they dissolve.
- Fill the bath tub and add 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar and 10 drops of your favorite essential oil to the water.
- Pour in the dissolved salt mixture.
- Soak for 30-60 minutes.
- Repeat once a week.
- Fill bath tub with warm water and add 2 cups of hydrogen peroxide and 1 tablespoon of powdered ginger into the water.
- Soak for 30 minutes.
- This process helps to clear the congestion or alleviate the body aches, skin irritations, reduces the fat in the body to prevent the cellulite.
9. Green Clay
Green clay stimulates blood and lymph circulation, removes dead skin cells, and absorbs impurities and excess fats from the body. It also repairs and strengthens connective tissues to reduce the appearance of cellulite.
- Mix ½ cup of green clay, ½ cup of seaweed, ¼ cup of lime juice, 3 tablespoons of hot water, and 1 tablespoon of raw honey to make a paste.
- Massage into cellulite using circular motions.
- Cover with plastic wrap and leave on 30 minutes.
- Rinse with lukewarm water.
- Repeat twice weekly.
10. Tangerine Oil
Tangerine oil improves circulation, and detoxifies the body while breaking down cellulite. Once a day, and follow the process below.
- Mix 5 drops of tangerine oil with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Stir well and massage into cellulite for 10 minutes.
- Allow it to absorb into the skin.
- Avoid sun exposure for at least an hour after following this treatment.
- Repeat daily for few weeks to reduce the cellulite and prevent its occurrence in future.
- Stir 3 drops of tangerine oil into a glass of warm water.
- Drink it once a day till you observe the change
Salmon contains antioxidants that help to break down fat cells in cellulite. It also has omega-3 fatty acids that help repair and strengthen tissues for smoother skin. Salmon reduces the appetite and decreases the buildup of harmful toxins in the blood vessels to improve circulation. Eat 4 – 5 servings of salmon per week, but eat only baked, roasted salmon dishes not deep fried.
12. Green Tea
Green tea speeds up metabolism and helps burn fat and reduces production of fat-absorbing enzymes. The catechins in green tea also help reduce insulin resistance. Drink 3 – 4 cups of green tea every day.
13. Mayofascial Massage
Cellulite forms in superficial fascia, where connective tissues below the skin hold fat cells. This superficial fascia is fibrous, and it gives the skin a rippled, bunched-up look. Massage prevents superficial fascia from becoming hick, coarse, and inflexible, and it smooths connective tissues to reduce the appearance of cellulite. Seek out a professional, trained massage therapist who can perform this procedure for you.
Tips for Reducing Cellulite:
- Do a full-body workout every day.
- Consume healthy fats.
- Use coconut oil to moisturize skin.
- Balance hormones by avoiding omega-6 polyunsaturated fats and caffeine, getting enough sleep, and taking supplements.
- Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. Or you can eat food with higher water content like melons, cucumbers, leafy vegetables, etc. every day to get rid of the cellulite.
- Tomatoes contain lycopene, which prevents the breakdown of collagen in the skin and keeps skin looking firmer and smoother. You can eat or apply it on affected area.
- Avoid stress.
- Whenever possible, use the natural remedies listed in this article rather than using over-the-counter products that cause side effects.
Have you tried any of these methods for reducing cellulite? Tell us which ones worked best for you!