Coconut oil is extracted from the mature meat of the coconut. It is a natural, beautiful smelling moisturiser that soothes and nourishes, with no irritation.
Diaper rash is an uncomfortable rash that can be cause by yeast infection, acid in the stool, ammonia from urine or diaper material. It is important to keep the area dry and clean, and coconut oil acts as a barrier and prevents the diaper rash. No one likes to see their baby suffering with a diaper rash! So, try these methods that will treat diaper rash effectively.
Why Is Coconut Oil good for Diaper Rash?
Coconut oil has many amazing properties that makes it an excellent treatment for various conditions, including diaper rash.
- Coconut oil contains antimicrobial, anti-viral, anti-bacterial and antifungal properties that help to promote healing.
- It has lauric acid (also found in breast milk) that treats bacterial and fungal problems very effectively.
- Lauric and Caprylic acids in this oil are natural yeast fighting substances.
1. Coconut Oil for Diaper Rash:
Method – 1: (Coconut Oil)
- Wash your baby’s bottom properly with water and let dry.
- Apply coconut oil on the affected area using your fingertips.
- Allow it to dry before putting on a new diaper.
- This coconut oil acts as barrier between the skin and waste in the diaper.
Method – 2: (Coconut Oil as a Natural Diaper Cream)
- 1/2 cup of coconut oil
- a tablespoon of calendula flowers
- a tablespoon of chamomile flowers
- 1/4 cup of Shea butter
- a teaspoon of arrowroot or zinc oxide powder.
- Melt the coconut oil in a glass bowl or double boiler top above boiling water.
- Add calendula and chamomile flowers and keep the heat on low/medium for at least an hour or until the coconut oil in it turns to yellow.
- Then strain the flowers out using a fine metal strainer.
- Add Shea butter and arrowroot or zinc oxide to the coconut oil.
- Use a food processor to create a velvety cream.
- Store this in a small glass jar and use it as needed.
Method – 3: (Coconut Oil with Shea Butter, Beeswax and Vegetable Glycerin)
- Melt 1/2 cup of Shea butter, 1/4 cup of coconut oil and a tablespoon of beeswax in a small saucepan.
- Once it has melted completely, remove it from the heat and add 2 tablespoons of vegetable glycerin.
- Use an electrical mixer to blend until creamy.
- Store it in a jar or air tight container and allow it to cool.
- Use this as a diaper rash cream.
Method – 4: (Coconut Oil with Lavender Oil)
- Pour 1/4 cup of coconut oil into a glass jar.
- Pour about 1 – 2 inches of water into a saucepan.
- Allow it to reach boiling point and place the jar on water.
- Remove jar from water once the oil melt.
- Let it cool for about 5 – 10 minutes and then add the lavender essential oils.
- Stir it well then pour into an air tight glass container.
- Allow it to cool for an hour or two before applying to the affected area.
- Regularly apply this diaper rash cream.
Method – 5: (Coconut Oil with Grape Seed Extract and Water Spray)
- Take 2 – 3 drops of grape seed extract and 2 oz of coconut oil.
- Dilute in an oz of distilled water and mix it well.
- Pour this solution in an empty spray bottle and then use it to spray on the rash area at every diaper change.
- Leave to dry before applying a new diaper.
Method – 6: (Coconut Oil with Beeswax and Zinc Oxide Powder)
- Put 2/3 cup of coconut oil and 1/8 cup of beeswax into a glass bowl.
- Melt by using double boiler.
- Then add 3/4 tablespoon of zinc oxide powder.
- Use a blender to blend the mixture for several minutes.
- Pour this cream into an air tight container and allow it to cool and solidify.
- Apply this to the affected skin.
2. Coconut Oil for Yeast Diaper Rash:
Yeast diaper is more painful rash that caused by a fungus called Candida allbicians.
Method – 1: (Coconut Oil with Tea Tree Oil)
- Add a few drops of tea tree oil to melted coconut oil and mix well.
- Apply this to your baby’s bottom after cleaning and drying the area.
- Leave to dry before applying a new diaper.
Method – 2: (Coconut Oil with Grapefruit Seed Extract)
Grape fruit extract contains anti-fungal properties that help to treat yeast rash.
- Fill a jelly jar with coconut oil and add 5 – 10 drops of grapefruit seed extract.
- Mix it well and then apply this on the diaper area after every diaper change.
- If the baby is over 6 months, you can also add few drops of tea tree oil.
Precautions and Tips to be Followed:
- Always use extra virgin organic coconut oil.
- If you’re breast feeding, have coconut oil in your diet for extra results.
- Let your baby be diaper free for a while to get better air flow.
Have you tried any of these coconut oil methods in treating your baby’s diaper rash? Or do you know any other methods that cures the diaper rash effectively? Then feel free to share your experience with us.