Suffering from yeast infection can be a horrible experience. Yeast infection is caused by candida which is present in everyone. The good bacteria present in our body controls its growth but certain factors like hormonal changes, antibiotics, and pH imbalance can lead to overgrowth of candida leading to an infection.
Yeast infection can develop on any part of the body like mouth, vagina, intestine and skin. People often depend on medicines or ointments to treat yeast infection but simple home remedies can be safer and effective option compared to them.
Can Coconut Oil Cure Yeast Infection?
- Coconut oil is high in three active ingredients (lauric, capric, and caprylic acid) which have antiviral, antifungal, and antibacterial properties. These compounds target harmful bacteria while leaving friendly bacteria.
- It is proven in a laboratory that caprylic acid in coconut oil breaks down the cell membrane which controls the yeast population and prevents it from proliferating and replicating itself.
- Virgin coconut oil contains a generous amount of lauric acid, a nutrient that strengthens and supports the body’s immune system to fight against the yeast fungus.
- Coconut oil is an antioxidant and effective agent in killing yeast and other fungal growths in the body. It also aids in the absorption of vitamins and minerals.
- Adding a moderate amount of coconut oil to your diet is considered safe as it contains unrefined fats which are easily converted into energy instead of storing as fat.
How to Use Coconut Oil to Treat Yeast Infection?
We have listed different ways of using coconut oil as per the affected area. Try the remedies regularly to treat the infection. coconut oil application will treat the yeast infection externally. In order to treat yeast infection from inside out, you have to include probiotics in your daily diet.
Coconut Oil to Treat Vaginal Yeast Infection:
As per a study, vaginal yeast infection affects almost 75% of the women at least once in their life. Burning sensation, redness, swelling of the vulva and thick discharge are some of the symptoms of vaginal yeast infection. Below are few remedies to treat a vaginal yeast infection with coconut oil. Try any of them as per your convenience.
1. Topical Application
- Rinse the affected area with water and dry thoroughly. If the area is sensitive, then dry it using a hair dryer.
- Spread a thin layer of coconut oil on the affected area.
- Follow the process twice or thrice in a day until the yeast infection clears.
2. Coconut Oil Tampon
By following this process, you can ensure a close contact of coconut oil to vagina walls. It provides great relief from burning sensation and itching.
- Take an unbleached tampon.
- Soak it in coconut oil for few minutes.
- Insert the soaked tampon into the vagina.
- Leave it overnight or up to 8 hours and remove it.
- Rinse off the area and pat dry completely.
- Repeat the process daily for 4 – 5 nights.
3. Coconut Oil Suppositories
This process also works like the tampon but here we will insert solid coconut oil suppositories into the vagina. You can reduce the symptoms within one or two applications.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of coconut oil.
- Add 4 drops each of lavender essential oil and melaleuca essential oil. You can use any essential oils of your choice instead of them.
- Stir well and pour the mixture into a silicon mold (which has shapes like a stick).
- Refrigerate them to solidify for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Remove the suppositories from the mold and store them in a container. You can break them as per the size you require.
- Place one coconut oil suppository and leave it overnight. The oil melts down as soon as it touches the body, so it is better to wear a pad avoid any mess.
- Repeat the process as necessary until you find relief from yeast infection.
4. Coconut Oil Douche
During douching, the coconut oil solution is sprayed directly into the vagina which helps to cleanse, reduce itching and discharge.
- To 2 quarts of warm distilled water, add 3 – 4 tablespoons of coconut oil.
- Douche using this solution.
- Repeat this process daily until the infection clears.
5. Coconut Bath
You can follow this process along with any other process mentioned above. It provides relief from irritation and itching.
- Add few drops of coconut oil into your bathtub filled with lukewarm water.
- Soak in it for few minutes and pat yourself dry.
- Repeat as necessary.
Coconut Oil for Skin Yeast Infection:
Redness, itching, swelling are some of the symptoms of skin yeast infection. Coconut oil application to the affected areas discourages the yeast growth. You can just apply coconut oil on the affected areas and leave it to dry completely. By following this regularly you will see the improvement. Apart from that, you can also combine coconut oil with other ingredients to increase its effectiveness. Let’s have a look at them below.
1. Coconut Oil with Cinnamon Oil
This process is effective in controlling the yeast growth, reduce the symptoms and prevent yeast infections.
- Combine equal amounts of coconut oil and cinnamon oil.
- Apply the mixture on the affected areas.
- Leave it to dry completely.
- Repeat the application regularly as needed until you achieve the results.
2. Coconut Oil with Garlic Oil and Vitamin E
The antibacterial and antifungal properties of coconut oil and garlic oil fight off the yeast causing infection. Vitamin E nourishes the skin and encourages the new skin cells production.
- Add few drops of garlic oil and vitamin E oil into enough amounts of coconut oil.
- Apply the oil mixture on the affected areas.
- Let the skin absorb the oils completely.
- Repeat the process regularly to notice the results.
3. Coconut Oil with Oregano Oil
Oregano oil contains anticandidal properties which help in killing off the yeast. Coconut oil makes a good emulsifier for the oregano oil apart from treating yeast infection.
- Combine enough amounts of coconut oil and oregano oil.
- Apply the mixture on the affected areas.
- Leave it to dry completely.
- Repeat the process as needed to get relief from yeast infection.
Coconut Oil for Oral Thrush:
Overgrowth of yeast in the mouth leads to oral thrush. It can develop on the tongue, gums, inner cheeks and palate. Slight swelling, cottage cheese color, pain, and bleeding are the symptoms of oral thrush. Coconut oil is also helpful in treating oral thrush. See the process below…
- Melt 1 – 2 tablespoons of coconut oil.
- Ensure the temperature of coconut oil is warm enough to swish.
- Swish the warm coconut oil for up to 10 seconds and spit it out.
- Make sure to avoid eating and drinking for at least 30 minutes after spitting out the coconut oil.
- Repeat the process as needed until the infection is cleared.
Coconut Oil for Yeast Infection in Intestines:
A digestive imbalance leads to overgrowth of candida in the gastrointestinal tract. Persistent burping, constipation, diarrhea, bloating and stomach cramps are some of the symptoms. You can use coconut oil to treat yeast infection in the intestine. In the below process we will use lemon juice as well to enhance the effectiveness of coconut oil. This combination flushes out the candida toxins.
1. Coconut Oil with Lemon Juice
- To a glass of lemon juice, add some coconut oil.
- Drink this on an empty stomach in the morning.
- Repeat daily to notice results.
2. Coconut Oil Enema
Coconut oil can be used to treat candida with no side effects. It also contains weight losing and cholesterol controlling properties.
- To 1.5 quarts of water, 8 ounces of coconut oil.
- Warm up the mixture up to 105 Fahrenheit.
- Pour the solution into an enema pump.
- Under qualified professional supervision, pump the solution into the colon through the anus.
- Repeat the process whenever needed.
Coconut Oil Diet to Treat Yeast Infection From Inside:
Apart from topical application, including coconut oil in diet boosts your immune system and control the yeast growth naturally. Here are some ways you can include coconut oil in your daily diet.
- Replace your regular cooking oil with coconut oil.
- You can add it to fruit/vegetable juices, coffee, cornflakes or oatmeal.
- You can apply coconut oil on your toast instead of butter.
Apart from this, add probiotics to your diet for added benefits.
Tips and Precautions:
- Always use organic virgin coconut oil. Avoid using hydrogenated coconut oil as this destroys the beneficial attributes and makes it high in dangerous trans-fatty acids.
- Avoid using coconut oil if you are allergic to it.
- Consumption of coconut oil provides additional benefits like shiny hair, healthier skin, lower cholesterol levels, and healthier immune system.
- If you don’t like the taste of coconut oil then you can take them in pills forms. For proper dosage as per your medical history, consult a doctor.
- Yeast feeds on sugar so avoid intake of sugary items at least until the infection clears.
- Avoid bubble baths, scented pads, and bleached tampons until the infection clears.
- If none of the home remedies work, consult a doctor.
Have you tried coconut oil to treat your yeast infection? Share your experience, suggestions and queries in the comments section below.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Which Form of Coconut Oil is best for Treating Yeast Infection?
Direct application of coconut oil is effective if the infection is present on the skin, mouth or vagina. But for yeast infection in the intestines, it good to consume it. Coconut oil capsules can be used for internal consumption but it doesn’t show much effectiveness for treating infections outside. Yet, it helps to boost the immune system.
How Long Does It Take for Coconut Oil to Treat Candida Infection?
It depends on the severity of the yeast infection. You can notice the improvement within few applications. With regular application, you can clear the infection as well in few days.
How to Take Coconut Oil to Kill Candida?
Coconut oil shows the effect as soon as you apply it on the affected areas. So, we recommend you to take a slow start with coconut oil to avoid severe die off symptoms. Start with 1 teaspoon of oil 3 times in a day and slowly increase it to 3 tablespoons per day. You can increase the dosage as per the die off symptoms. Once the infection clears, we recommend to include coconut oil in your diet to prevent future occurrence of yeast infection.