Sore throats are cause by viral and bacterial infections. We’ve all experienced the discomfort of a sore throat, but many people don’t know there’s a way to treat them naturally and effectively without spending money on commercial cold and flu remedies. You’re about to discover several ways to use raw honey to treat and heal your sore throat fast.
How Does Raw Honey Heal a Sore Throat?
- Honey acts as a anti-inflammatory agent and reduces swelling and inflammation.
- It soothes irritated skin, glands, and mucus membranes inside the throat.
- It contains an enzyme called glucoseoxidase, which fights bacteria and kills infections.
- Honey has natural anti-bacterial and antiseptic properties that kill those bacteria and gives complete relief from sore throat.
- Honey acts as a hypertonic osmotic, helping to draw excess fluid out of inflamed tissues and relieve pain.
How to Use Honey to Treat Sore Throats
1. Plain Honey
- Add 2 tablespoons of raw honey to a cup of warm water or your favorite tea.
- Drink at least 3 times daily.
- Or eat a tablespoon of raw honey once in the morning and once in the night.
2. Honey and Turmeric
Turmeric is an anti-biotic. It kills the bacteria or virus which causes sore throat.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of raw honey with ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder to make a paste.
- Swallow this mixture several times daily until sore throat is gone.
3. Honey and Ginger
Ginger is a natural painkiller. It has anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties which fight against the infection.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of raw honey with 1 teaspoon of fresh ginger juice.
- Sip it to get rid of sore throat.
- Drink several times a day.
4. Honey, Lemon, and Ginger
Lemon juice is anti-microbial and contains vitamin C.
- Crush or blend 3-inch ginger root, then squeeze it to extract juice.
- Mix ginger juice and 3 tablespoons each of raw honey and lemon juice.
- Drink several times a day whenever your throat is irritated.
5. Honey and Ginger Infusion
- Boil 4 cups of water.
- Add four medium sliced or grated ginger root and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Let it cool for room temperature and add 3 tablespoons of raw honey.
- Drink this regularly whenever you feel sore and painful.
6. Honey and Garlic
- Mince 3 cloves of garlic.
- Mix it into ½ cup raw honey.
- Put a lid on your container and let it sit overnight.
- Add 1 teaspoon of this mixture to a cup of hot water.
- Stir well and drink to clear sore throat
- Drink 3 cups in a day to prevent sore throat.
- Or you can eat 6 garlic cloves soaked in honey.
7. Honey and Milk
Milk has soothing, non-irritating and relaxing properties which help to moisten the throat
- Heat a mug of milk.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon of raw honey.
- Drink before bed nightly until sore throat subsides.
8. Honey and Cinnamon
- Heat 1 cup of milk to drinking temperature.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon of honey, ½ teaspoon of powdered ginger, and ½ teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Stir well and sip slowly to get relief from sore throat.
9. Honey, Lemon, and Cayenne Pepper
- Add freshly squeezed lemon, one teaspoon of honey and a pinch of cayenne pepper to a cup of hot water.
- Drink it whenever needed.
10. Honey and Apple Cider Vinegar
- Heat a cup of water.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon of raw honey and 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar.
- Drink when it is warm.
- Or Mix 2 tbps of apple cider vinegar in a ½ cup of warm water.
- Use this to gargle and do this twice a day.
11. Honey Tea
- Mix a tablespoon of honey, 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger, 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper in a cup.
- Pour hot water over it
- Sip this to soothe sore throat.
- Drink before bedtime is very beneficial.
Honey and Lemon for Sore Throat And Cough
Honey soothes the throat and fights bacteria that cause infection while lemon acts as an astringent that breaks up mucus. Lemons also have anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, and they contain essential nutrients and vitamins that support the immune system.
- Heat a cup of water until it gets warm.
- Add 2 tablespoons of honey and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Sip it slowly and drink several times daily to get quick relief from sore throat.
- Cut a lemon in half.
- Boil both halves for 3 minutes.
- Let them cool until they’re comfortable to touch.
- Squeeze the juice into a container.
- Stir in 1 cup raw honey.
- Take 2 tablespoons of this mixture every 4 hours.
- Repeat regularly to soothe and coat throat and cough caused by irritation.
- Take one tablespoon each of honey and lemon juice in a large mug.
- Pour hot water into the mug and stir well.
- Finally add lemon slice and enjoy the hot toddy.
- Repeat regularly to clear the sore throat.
- Or sprinkle salt and pepper on half lemon. Lick it slowly to clear the sore throat.
- Skew half of fresh lemon over the medium flame.
- Roast until the peel turns golden brown and let it cool slightly
- Then take out the juice and mix it with a teaspoon of honey
- Swallow mixture to get rid of the sore throat.
Manuka Honey for Sore Throat
Manuka honey is 100% natural honey that has no known side effects. Active manuka honey is rich in anti-oxidants and it contains antibacterial properties which help to kill the streptococcus virus that causes sore throat and cough.
- Take 3 tablespoons manuka honey every day.
- If you have infection from 2 to 3 days, hold the honey in your mouth for few seconds by moving it around before swallowing it.
- Continue doing this process regularly for a month to stop the infection completely.
- For severe sore throats, take 10+, 15+, or 20+ manuka honey every 2-3 hours.
- You can also stir it into water, fruit juice, or tea, or spread it on toast.
- Heat a cup of water.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon each of manuka honey and lemon juice.
- Drink this slowly to get relief from the sore throat.
- Follow this regularly to get rid of irritated throat.
Other Tips for Treating and Preventing Sore Throat
- Eat a healthy well-balanced diet.
- Get plenty of exercise.
- Get plenty of sleep.
- Avoid stress.
- Do not give honey to children under 1 year.
Have you tired any of these methods for using honey to treat a sore throat? Do you know of other methods we haven’t mentioned? Share your experience with us!