Insomnia / Sleeplessness is a disorder which makes it very hard to sleep. Some reasons for this disorder could be stress, anxiety, depression, some kind of medications, nicotine, changes in your work environment etc. It can have a great impact on your life by lowering energy levels, changing your mood and the performance of your work will be reduced. There is also the increased risk and severity of long term diseases (high blood pressure, heart problems, diabetes etc). According to National Sleep Foundation (NSF), every adult have to sleep for at least seven to eight hours to be in healthy state.
Home Remedies for Insomnia:
There are many homemade natural remedies which help you to get rid of this problem.
1. Warm Milk
Milk contains tryptophan which helps to promote sleep.
- Mix 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon powder in a cup of warm water.
- Drink it one hour before going to bed.
- Mix a glass of milk with one teaspoon of honey.
- Drink this before going to sleep.
- This works as tonic and natural tranquillizer to get rid of insomnia.
2. Chamomile Tea
Chamomile acts as a sleeping aid as it contains the compound apigenin which has sedative effect.
- Boil a cup of water and add a teaspoon of chamomile herb.
- Let it cover and steep for 15 minutes.
- Strain and drink regularly.
- Add a pinch of cinnamon and a little bit of honey as per the taste.
Aniseed relaxes the nervous system which and promotes good sleep.
- Combine 375ml of water with a teaspoon of aniseed.
- Mix it well and heat for about 15 minutes
- Strain the mixture and add honey and milk to it before drinking.
- Drink daily before going to sleep.
Valerian is a herb that has a sedative and muscle relaxing effect.
- Add an equal quantity (1/2 teaspoon) of grated valerian root and nutmeg to two cups of hot water and steep it for about 15 minutes.
- Strain the mixture.
- Drink this occasionally to get rid of the insomnia.
- Add a teaspoon of valerian herb in a cup of water.
- Stir it well and steep it for few minutes.
- Strain it to drink the tea.
- Dilute half a teaspoon of valerian tincture in a glass of water.
- Have this water twice a day.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
Apple cider vinegar contains amino acids which help to get relief from fatigue. ACV helps to breakdown fatty acids that release tryptophan which also helps to get natural sleep. Honey helps to raise insulin level and releases serotonin which regulates the sleep cycles.
- Mix two teaspoons each of organic apple cider vinegar and honey in a glass of warm water.
- Drink this before you go to sleep.
- Repeat the process regularly.
- Mix two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in a cup of honey.
- Eat a teaspoon of this syrup every night with or without water.
Nutmeg contains sedative property which helps to get natural sleep.
- Mix one-eighth teaspoon of nutmeg powder in a cup of warm milk.
- Drink this while going to bed.
- Add a 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground nutmeg powder to a cup of warm water or fruit juice
- Mix it well and drink before bed.
- Mix a pinch of nutmeg powder in a teaspoon of Indian gooseberry juice.
- Consume this three times a day to treat indigestion and depression problems.
7. Cumin Seeds
Cumin seeds has a tranquilizing effect which helps to cure the insomnia.
- Mash a ripe banana and mix with a teaspoon of cumin powder.
- Eat this before going to bed.
- Follow this process regularly.
- Heat a teaspoon of cumin seeds for about 5 seconds.
- Add one cup of water and boil.
- Turn off the heat and cover for 5-7 minutes.
- Strain it and drink before going to bed.
Almonds contain tryptophan as well as magnesium that help to relax your muscles.
- Eat handful of almonds throughout the day.
- Eat regularly to get good sleep.
Honey promotes relaxation and helps to ease your tummy at night. It contains natural sugar which raises the insulin level and allows tryptophan which will make you sleepy.
- Mix two teaspoons of honey into a glass of water.
- Drink this after eating dinner.
- Or you can simply take a spoonful of honey before going to bed.
Banana contains tryptophan, melatonin, serotonin and magnesium which acts as muscle relaxant and helps you sleep well.
- Eat a banana before going to bed.
- Repeat regularly.
Oats are rich in melatonin, a sleep-inviting hormone to get sleep naturally.
- Eat oatmeal by adding 2 tablespoons of flaxseeds night time regularly.
Saffron has mild sedative properties which help in getting natural sleep.
- Steep 2-3 strands of saffron in a cup of warm milk.
- Drink this regularly.
13. Fenugreek Juice
Fenugreek acts as sleeping aid which helps to get natural sleep and prevent insomnia.
- Combine 2 teaspoons of fresh fenugreek juice and one teaspoon of honey.
- Consume it daily before going to bed.
14. Green Tea
Green tea contains L-theanine, an amino acid which helps to combat anxiety that interferes with sleep. It helps to reduce the stress levels and helps you relax.
- Have green tea five hours before going to bed.
- Drinking this green tea regularly helps to get regular and natural sleep.
15. Lavender Aromatherapy
Lavender acts as a mild sedative and helps you to fall asleep faster.
- Apply lavender oil, lotions or bath salts on your body regularly.
- You can also use other flavours which help you sleep. This is known as aromatherapy.
16. Music Therapy
Music makes you relaxed which helps you to get better sleep.
- Listen to your favourite music about 45 minutes before going to bed.
- Slow music such as classical will work best.
Acupuncture also helps to get rid of insomnia. Putting thin needles in your skin at specific points on your body can help you to sleep. Make sure that this process is done by an experienced practitioner.
Tips To Reduce Insomnia:
- Sleep in dark, quiet, comfortable and cool room.
- Limit your caffeine and don’t take afternoon.
- A regular sleeping pattern helps to get natural sleep.
- Listening to bedtime stories will make you sleepy.
- White noise machines are designed to help you sleep by producing low level soothing noise.
- Change your pillow position in the way which helps you to get better sleep.
- Have a warm bath two hours before bed time which will relax your body. For additional benefits, add 2 cups of Epsom salt.
- Finish your dinner 3 hours before going to bed. Have sugary food 30 minutes before bedtime which will acts as a sedative. You can also take honey by adding it in herbal tea.
- Eat bedtime snacks which have high carbohydrates, low protein such as toast, oatmeal with milk or walnuts or yogurt will helps to ease your tummy.
- If you wake frequently to urinate then avoid liquids for a few hours before going to bed.
- Have a sleep journal to record what makes you to sleep or not.
- Melatonin is a hormone which regulates your biological clock. Take the supplement of melatonin to get better sleep under the advice of a doctor.
- Eat food that contains magnesium and calcium as both of these are sleep boosters.
- Stay away from smart phones, iPods, laptops or other gadgets to get a perfect sleep as the blue wavelength produced by your phone will suppress the production of melatonin.
- Yoga can relieve many health problems which will make you sleep better.
- Try to avoid taking naps during daytime.
- Check your medications as some medicines like Beta-blockers cause insomnia. Go to you prescribed doctor and discuss this.
- Do 30 minutes of aerobic exercise 4 -5 hours before bed.
- Write down an action plan for your worries so you don’t think about them at night.
These remedies are very effective in treating acute insomnia as well as chronic insomnia problem. Different remedies works well for different people, so try these remedies to get nice sleep every night. If you didn’t observe any change in your sleeping problem, then consult doctor to get the diagnosis.
Did you try any other remedies? Do not forget to share with us.