75% of women get affected by yeast infection at least some point in their life. Yeast infection is caused by yeast called candida albicans. They are generally present in everyone. The good bacteria present in our body keeps them under control. When our immune system weakens, the candida albicans grow out of control and infection develops.
Itching, burning sensation, fluid discharge, and pain while urinating or intercourse are the symptoms of yeast infection. People with diabetes, increased estrogen levels, stress, and poor eating habits are more prone to develop a yeast infection.
Natural remedies like apple cider vinegar or oregano oil give more effective and safe results than over the counter medications.
Want to know more about oregano oil for yeast infection? Then read on…
Is Oregano Oil Good for Yeast Infection?
- Oregano oil contains powerful natural antifungal, antiviral, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
- As per a study conducted at Georgetown University Medical Centre, it was found that it inhibits the growth of candida albicans.
- Daily oral administration of oregano oil is also effective in treating and preventing candidiasis.
- It also contains two naturally occurring antimicrobial agents called carvacrol and thymol.
- It also contains antiseptic properties which prevent the infection from spreading.
How to Use Oregano Oil for Yeast Infection?
Now let’s learn how to incorporate oregano oil in your daily routine to treat yeast infection. Choose any method as per your convenience and try it regularly. To boost up the effectiveness of home remedies, include probiotics in your daily diet. It helps in increasing the good bacteria which controls the yeast infection.
1) Oral Consumption of Oregano Oil
Oral consumption boosts your immune system which helps in treating the infection from inside. You can try this method only or in conjunction with the topical application as well.
Process 1: Oil
- Mix 3 drops of oregano oil into a glass of water or juice.
- Drink it daily.
- You can increase the quantity of oregano oil gradually to 6 drops if it is not causing any burning sensation in the mouth.
Process 2: Oregano Oil Gel
- Take oregano oil soft gels which contain 230ml of oregano oil each.
- Take one soft gel daily after a meal.
- Gradually you can increase to 2 soft gels per day.
Process 3: With Olive Oil
- Combine 1 drop of oregano oil, 1/2 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil.
- Mix well and drink it.
- Repeat the process daily.
- Alternatively, you can use coconut oil or 3 tablespoons of water instead of olive oil.
2) Topical Application of Oregano Oil
- Take a very small amount of oregano oil and apply it on the affected areas.
- Repeat the application 2 times daily.
3) Oregano Oil with Other Oils
When applied topically, oregano oil produces heat which may cause some discomfort people with very sensitive skin. So you can mix it with either coconut oil or olive oil.
- To 1 tablespoon of coconut oil add 1 – 2 drops of oregano oil.
- Mix well and apply it on the affected areas.
- Let it dry completely.
- Repeat the application twice daily.
- Alternatively, you can use olive oil, almond oil or tea tree oil instead of coconut oil.
4) Oregano Oil Douche
If you are pregnant or planning for a child then please avoid this process, as douching can create complications.
- To 8 ounce of water, add 20 drops of oregano oil.
- Mix well and use this solution for douching.
- After douching, rinse off with water and let it dry completely.
- Repeat the process twice a day.
- Alternatively, you can dip a tampon in this solution and insert into your vagina. Remove it after 30 minutes.
Oregano Oil for Oral Thrush
Oral thrush is also caused by candida albicans. White patches in the mouth, cottony feeling on tongue and inability to taste are some of the symptoms of oral thrush. It is more commonly occurs in babies, older adults and people with weak immune system.
- Mix few drops of oregano oil into coconut oil. Use this mixture to swish your mouth. Spit it out for few minutes and rinse off with water.
- Open an oregano oil capsule and use the contents to brush your teeth as usual and rinse off with water.
- Add few drops of oregano oil to water and use it to swish your mouth. Rinse off with water after dew minutes.
- Take 2 capsules of oregano oil daily 2 times.
Oregano Oil for Skin Yeast infections
Apart from vaginal yeast infections, oregano oil also helps in treating skin yeast infections as well. Usually, they appear on thighs, under the breasts, betweens toes and fingers. Rashes, fluid discharge, raised itchy bumps are some of the skin yeast infection symptoms. Add few drops of oregano oil to your daily bath water and soak for few minutes to treat the infection. Apart from that you can dilute it with some almond oil, coconut oil or almond oil and apply it over the affected areas and leave it to dry completely. Repeat the process daily.
Oregano Oil for Yeast Infection in Dogs
Oregano oil can be used both topically and orally for yeast infection in dogs. It is considered safe to use on dogs. Add few drop of oregano oil in water to food meant for the dog. The oil contains strong smell so your dog may not like it so make sure to add only a few drops in the food. It is better to start with 1 drop and gradually increase it to 4 drops in a day.
As oregano oil has strong properties, it is better to mix it with olive oil or coconut oil before applying it on the yeast infection. For dogs weighing 50 – 70 pounds, dilute 1/2 teaspoon of oregano oil with 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil and for dogs weighing 25 – 35 pounds use 1 teaspoon of olive oil and for small dogs use 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons of olive oil.
Oregano Oil for Nail Fungus
Dilute 1 teaspoon of oregano oil with equal amounts of olive oil and massage the mixture on the affected nails and cuticles.
Who Should Avoid Taking Oregano Oil?
- People having iron deficiencies should avoid taking oregano oil as it can decrease the body’s ability to absorb iron temporarily.
- Pregnant women should avoid oregano oil. As it increases blood flow to the uterus and weakens the lining that surrounds the fetus.
- Patients who have developed allergic reactions like rashes by using the oregano oil should avoid it.
- Avoid taking oregano oil if you are breastfeeding or on blood thinning medications.
- It should be avoided by people with high blood pressure and heart problems.
- Kids and infants should avoid both topical and oral usage of oregano oil.
Few Side Effects Observed While Yeast Infection Is Dying Off By Oregano Oil
As candida starts drying off by using oregano oil, there are some deleterious effects a person can observe. Headache, dizziness, fatigue, bloating, gas, diarrhea and constipation are some of the common die off symptoms observed. These symptoms may vary from one person to another.
If you are experiencing these symptoms, cut down the oregano oil dosage to a little, which decreases the candida death and helps you in feeling better. Once you feel better, you can start to increase the oregano oil dosage.
It is very important to drink plenty of water to cope up with the die off symptoms of candida. It helps in washing away the toxins.
How to Choose Right Oregano Oil for Treating Yeast Infection?
Wild oregano oil is considered the effective ones for medicinal purposes. Check for oregano oil that doesn’t contain alcohol, contains at least 50% of carvacrol.
Tips and Precautions:
- Avoid consuming processed sugars and preservatives as they encourage yeast infection growth.
- Keep the infected areas completely dry.
- Wear cotton innerwear to let the infected area breathe and dry.
- Drink plenty of water to flush out the toxins from the blood.
- Avoid using soaps or gels that contain harsh chemicals. You can use soaps that are mild and have antifungal properties.
- Stress levels also increase the infection so reduce it by doing yoga or meditation.
So try using oregano oil to treat the yeast infection and share your experience with us. If you have any doubts or suggestion on the article then do write to us in the comments section below.